Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:13 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times

Advertisements

If anyone has information about Butner or Creedmoor? How are these areas? Is it easy to find an apartment? Would a commute from Raleigh or Durham be a hassle? A friend of mine will be relocating from NY to be a correctional officer at one of the facilities in Butner...he doesn't want a long commute...any recommendations for a town to commute from other than Butner itself and nearby Creedmoor?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
If anyone has information about Butner or Creedmoor? How are these areas? Is it easy to find an apartment? Would a commute from Raleigh or Durham be a hassle? A friend of mine will be relocating from NY to be a correctional officer at one of the facilities in Butner...he doesn't want a long commute...any recommendations for a town to commute from other than Butner itself and nearby Creedmoor?

Thanks in advance for any information.
It would be around 30 to 40 minutes from Wake Forest/North Raleigh to the prison there....depending on the time of day. It's not a bad commute (I did it into Butner for over three years.) I saw many folks I know work at the prison make it as well.

There are apartments to be had in both Butner and Creedmoor, but not many and they aren't as cheap as you'd think for such a small area. Housing prices, should he choose to buy, are cheaper then Wake County.

They area SMALL towns...no entertainment, two bars/private clubs. Not the worst place if you have a family, but if you want a more active, young adult life, then Durham or North Raleigh would be the way to go.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
A commute from Durham wouldn't be bad at all.
Housing has started to increase, because it is a rural area with a good commute to Durham.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:53 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
I used to work in Butner and lived in West Raleigh. The commute was about 45 minutes, but it was an easy drive because you are driving against most of the traffic. Most of the people I worked with there lived in Durham, as it was a much quicker commute (maybe 20 minutes).
I would strongly suggest not living in Butner, it's not a great residential area (IMO). Creedmoor is growing up pretty fast, although it's still fairly rural, but it has potential! I guess it depends on what your friend is looking for, a more small town, rural feel, or a city like Durham.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:29 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,840 times
Thumbs up thank you

thanks for the feedback... I would say more a small town feel he's looking for...he's not coming from Manhattan...the town he's in now (in eastern long island) is very laid back, a very quaint New Englandy (if that's a word) town...but having access to a Durham or Raleigh for some type of social life would be enough for him... he told me he's checking out Granville Oaks Apartments...not sure what thats all about...googled it...looks ok...he's coming down this weekend to secure a place...so he'll be looking around at apartments to start out...then purchase a home within a year...

thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary