Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM

54 posts, read 193,823 times

Advertisements

I use to visit many of the Wake County libraries on a regular basis. However recently I have been keeping away because I find it very difficult to do reading and research in such a loud and often disruptive environment. I realize they have many family oriented programs at the library but lately it is starting to feel like more of a daycare center than a library with dozens of small children running about screaming and crying at the top of their lungs.

I understand stay at home moms want to get out of the house too, but I thought a library was supposed to be a place of relative peace and quiet. Aren't there better places suited for entertaining small children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:18 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,775,072 times
Maybe it just depends on the library. The one we go to (West) has the kids section divided from the adult section and also has quiet rooms. I think it is great to have so many kids taking advantage of the libraries.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM

450 posts, read 1,351,335 times
I agree that it depends on the library, and also on the time of day. I don't know for sure, but I'd think that from about 1:00 - 4:00 would be quieter - toddlers are home for rest/nap time and older kids aren't out of school yet. Most of the kids' programming is scheduled in the mornings. Of course, there are always homeschooled kids and year-round kids who are tracked out, but I still think afternoons would be the quietest time.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:03 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,788 times
give it a break... what can possibly wrong with kids being at a library??? some folks will complain at kids in every and any situation

Old 09-05-2009, 03:37 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
give it a break... what can possibly wrong with kids being at a library??? some folks will complain at kids in every and any situation
What's wrong is that they are not supervised, allowed to run, and are not taught the basic concept of a library which is...QUIET.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:44 PM

18,115 posts, read 15,690,551 times
When I was a kid our local librarian (and there was only 1 woman who worked in that little branch) used to "shush" us if we talked too loud. We learned early that you don't run around and make noise in the library. Parents enforced that rule too--going was a privilege that one would lose if one didn't behave. I don't ever see today's librarians enforcing such a policy--not that it's their job to police things, but it does help if the librarian says something rather than just let the kids run amok. Everyone seems to think that kids should do whatever they want, whenever they want or it 'stifles their creativity and freedom' if they're made to behave when they don't want to. <cough>bull</cough>

Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
I agree that children should not run and make lots of noise in a library, but I really hate the "no talking in the library" culture from decades past that some people still cling to. Muted tones, sure - but like it or not a library today is a place of much activity, and expecting nothing but whispers or less is silly, and in my view creates a rather funerial atmosphere.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 AM

260 posts, read 546,023 times
Kids aren't taught appropriate behavior for various different places these days. The culture of letting the precious little snowflakes express themselves however they want whenever they want is leading to a society of rudeness in our youth. Children SHOULD be at the library. They should also learn that it isn't a place to run and yell - and the parents are the ones that should be spoken to when they aren't controlling their young. All children can learn appropriate behavior - but only if their parents help them to learn and sometimes be tough in removing them from the situation when the children can't cope or behave.

And, FWIW, our north Raleigh library is definitely not quiet and does have the feeling of a daycare at times. I just avoid those times.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:25 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,010,729 times
I find that it is more quiet at Barnes and Noble and used to just go there and plop down in a chair. On my last trip there I noticed they had removed all their comfy reading chairs. The only place you can sit now is at the Starbucks cafe at a table. The libraries are letting various clubs (moms clubs, twins groups etc) use their space for meetings. Growing up our local library was 3 stories and the top floor was the childrens section. That said even the childrens section was quiet because that is what was expected library behavior.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
My mother has been a librarian for about 30 years now and she regularly says that the days of libraries being "quiet places" are over. Most local libraries want to be seen as more of a a bustling, activity center. Many of them also offer "quiet rooms" or "quiet zones" in a diferent area for people needing to study. Now, that doesn't mean children need to act like it's a playground or something with running and screaming, it's still an "indoor voice" place, but I think it's pretty well expected that plenty of children/families will be there and aren't expected to be silent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary