Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 12:32 PM

13 posts, read 34,367 times

Advertisements

I may be asking for the impossible, however, I have heard there are neighborhoods out there like this. My Brother and Wife will be moving to our area soon. He is going to retire here. He would like to find a nice neighborhood where you can have your own well, and septic tank. He is also would like the neighborhood to be outside the city, so he pays only one property tax.
He is looking for a 4-5 bedroom home, around $500-$625 thousand. The neighborhood preferably in Wake County or possibly Johnson County, but not too far out. Are there any neighborhoods like this in the Apex area?
If anyone out there lives in a neighborhood that matches this criteria, or knows of one, please let us know. We appreciate all your help and suggestions. My brother is retired military, and will be living on a budget, so
he would like his monthly bills and tax to be as low as possible.
Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I think you can have a well just about anywhere - even if you have city water. Not so for septic, however.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Lots of areas have private well and septic in this area. If you don't have access to public utilities and if your land "perks" and has water then you typically do your own thing. Sometimes its a private company that provides water and/or sewer on a full or partial community basis.
The number of bedrooms determines the minimum amount of land that needs to perk as well as the reserve field requirement.

Frank

Old 09-08-2009, 12:56 PM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
We have friends in Stonebridge (540/Six Forks - Raleigh) who've mentioned they have wells and septic.

sorry, I didn't read the "outside the city" requirement. This is is N. raleigh

Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I'm interested in why he prefers well and septic tanks. After just moving from such a situation, I can tell you how wonderful it is to be free from the worries and expenses of wells and septic tanks. Remember the drought we recently experienced? For those of us on wells it was real touch and go for awhile. We also had to abandon one septic field and construct another with a sump pump. Also one time we went on vacation and came home to a sink hole right over the septic tank. They have to periodically be pumped and you sure don't want to do it in August! What a stink!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:21 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camhutch View Post
I may be asking for the impossible, however, I have heard there are neighborhoods out there like this. My Brother and Wife will be moving to our area soon. He is going to retire here. He would like to find a nice neighborhood where you can have your own well, and septic tank. He is also would like the neighborhood to be outside the city, so he pays only one property tax.
He is looking for a 4-5 bedroom home, around $500-$625 thousand. The neighborhood preferably in Wake County or possibly Johnson County, but not too far out. Are there any neighborhoods like this in the Apex area?
If anyone out there lives in a neighborhood that matches this criteria, or knows of one, please let us know. We appreciate all your help and suggestions. My brother is retired military, and will be living on a budget, so
he would like his monthly bills and tax to be as low as possible.
Thank you for your help.
There are lots of neighborhoods down by where I live like this. My neighborhood is a little lower budget than what you are looking for (mid-$300K range) but there are 2 neighborhoods near us that are in this price range. One is called Westbury Manor and the other is called Hickory Creek.

To clarify. . . . . when you say "own well and septic tank" are you OK with a well used for the entire neighborhood and maintained by a utility company?

And while I think about it. . . .. . if he's on a budget why does he need a $625K house? Buying a cheaper house would certainly lower his monthly bills.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:22 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Tehre are tons of locations where well and septic are the rule.
Almost all unincorporated areas are on well and on-site septic.
Exceptions are if the neighborhood has a community well and/or septic system.
Many have community wells with on-site septic.

Westbury Manor south of 1010 Rd. and east of Lake Wheeler Rd. may well be a fit for the OP.
Just one of many.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
We have friends in Stonebridge (540/Six Forks - Raleigh) who've mentioned they have wells and septic.

sorry, I didn't read the "outside the city" requirement. This is is N. raleigh
Part of Stonebridge(maybe all) is outside city limits.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:43 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
As others have said, there are plenty of options. For North Raleigh and Wake Forest, the areas in the Falls Lake watershed lie outside the city limits, and are therefore on some form of well and septic system. The well and septic system may be private, community, or a combination of the two. Community well and/or septic systems tend to be expensive - more than the water/sewer in cities which are subsidized by city taxes - but you get to avoid the maintenance issues that surround private well and private septic systems.

My experience is most newer neighborhoods in the North Raleigh portion of the Falls Lake watershed tend to have community well (provided by Aqua) and private septic systems. There are established neighborhoods with private well and private septic, though. I also have friends that live in Wake County north of Hwy 98, which has a mailing address of Wake Forest, who have new construction that has private well and private septic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary