Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 PM

393 posts, read 674,015 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I can buy Thuja Green Giant trees locally? Not a guess, but places that really have them. I am told they can be hard to find. I want to use these, rather than Leyland Cypresses. Leylands have too many disease and insect issues.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 05:47 PM

68 posts, read 285,817 times
I know you said local, but if decide to order online, we are very happy with the ones we got from: Thuja Green Giant conifer-arborvitae, fast growing tree, Thuja

Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
A friend of ours said they bought some at a nursery in Angier off of Old Stage. They said it wasn't Broadwell's but it was across the street. Sorry I don't know the name....but I'm planning on checking it out because I want some too and haven't been able to find them. If you happen to find them first, please report back!! Thanks!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
A friend of ours said they bought some at a nursery in Angier off of Old Stage. They said it wasn't Broadwell's but it was across the street. Sorry I don't know the name....but I'm planning on checking it out because I want some too and haven't been able to find them. If you happen to find them first, please report back!! Thanks!
It's the Old Stage Nursery run by Rob Broadwell that is across the street from Broadwells Nursery. He is very knowledgable about plants, soil conditions and general tips for keeping tree's and shrubs in good condition. We get all our shrubs there as they are excellent value compared to local nursersies or Lowes / HD

Old 09-10-2009, 06:41 PM

393 posts, read 674,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
It's the Old Stage Nursery run by Rob Broadwell that is across the street from Broadwells Nursery. He is very knowledgable about plants, soil conditions and general tips for keeping tree's and shrubs in good condition. We get all our shrubs there as they are excellent value compared to local nurseries or Lowes / HD
I plan on planting various evergreens all the way around the sides and back of my property, to soften the edge into the woods. I will need a lot of trees & shrubs. What do you suggest as a plan of action with the multiple nurseries there? I believe there are 3. Do I need to pick up different things at each or can I one stop shop at just one? Is everything priced and labeled? I do have a truck and don't live all that far away, so I can really load up and make multiple trips as I plant.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
I plan on planting various evergreens all the way around the sides and back of my property, to soften the edge into the woods. I will need a lot of trees & shrubs. What do you suggest as a plan of action with the multiple nurseries there? I believe there are 3. Do I need to pick up different things at each or can I one stop shop at just one? Is everything priced and labeled? I do have a truck and don't live all that far away, so I can really load up and make multiple trips as I plant.
Old Stage Nursery is very bad at labelling shrubs and tree's and none have prices - ask Rob Broadwell where the plants you require are and he will tell you along with the price. You just chose the ones you like and pay him as you leave, cash or checks only. The prices are excellent value but totally non-negotiable - I saw him remove the plants from one persons truck who was trying to haggle, but as the shrubs are such good value it should not be an issue.

It would be your choice if you wanted to shop different nurseries but fortunately we have always been able to get everything we wanted at Old Stage.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,180,241 times
Our landscape supplier grows them in Chatham County and has any height you may want. I'll get his contact info during office hours if you want to DM me.

Thujas are a good choice if you need a fast growing, evergreen that is more hearty than a Leyland and is not as susceptible to disease. Make sure that you do not plant them too close together so they are not crowded. Once established, expect 2 to 3 feet growth per year

Old 09-11-2009, 06:13 AM

114 posts, read 430,167 times
Call Mclamb Nursery in Johnston County. They are offering wholesale pricing for retail customers this fall. I know in the past they have had a large selection of Green Giants in 15 gallon.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 12,824 times
Default Thujas

Thuja Green Giant used to be hard to find, when I bought my first ones about 7 years ago. I see them everywhere now. I have seen them at Lowes or HD, don't remember which. I saw them today at Fairview Nursery and at Cary Garden Center.

Best thing is to call around various nurserys and see who has them in stock at any particular time and find out the sizes they sell. Some plant centers have some pretty crazy prices on them.

They are great! Never a problem in any of the 5-6 droughts we had or any of the freezes. Another alternative is Cryptomeria. It is an evergreen fast grower and can be purchased at many locations and price ranges.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:52 AM

261 posts, read 1,217,100 times
Default Taylors Nursery has them

I had my landscaper purchase and plant 5 Thuja Green Giants for me back in May. They were 5' tall, ball/burlap, and came from Taylors Nursery. The really do grow FAST! They are now over 7' ft tall. They haven't gained a lot in width yet, but the growth in height is amazing.

www.taylorsnursery.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary