Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:30 PM

478 posts, read 2,046,304 times

Advertisements

I think we've seen it all in Cary. The old downtown (zzzz, sorry, not very vibrant), the new subdivisions, established subdivisions. With the exception of MacGregor Downs which I loved due to the privacy of the lots (mature trees) and diversity of architecture, seems like Cary is a lot of cookie cutter SD and shopping plazas.

I did like the Whole Foods. And haven't seen a performance at the much-touted amphitheatre yet.

But seems so...vanilla. And I am still amazed that these huge homes (4000 sq) are on small lots. Don't people care about a good sized back yard? If no, why not? Just go to the pool or play tennis, who needs a personal back garden?

And what is up with the big glass door over the wood door? How does that work? Leave the wood door open and let everyone peer into the home via the glass door? Or is it more of the 'open' feel but not a screen door?

Not saying that everyone wants the same thing, so please do not misunderstand. Not saying Cary is 'bad', 'undesirable', not saying I disagree with Money Mag/CNN 'Best Place to Raise Family' award.

Just saying it seems to lack character and culture. Chain stores and restaurants everywhere. Even the 'Groceryboy Jr.' was more than one location, which amazed me as I thought for certain that had to be a small town corner shop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
For 34 years, I've been married to the most beautiful girl in the world.
She lives in Cary.

I find Cary to be fascinating!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:06 PM

15 posts, read 59,823 times
Is it a storm door you are referring too? I've lived in the midwest and east coast and always had that on all our front doors.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:07 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,866 times
You go Mike. That was sweet. I also love the Cary area.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:11 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
If you didn't like the look and feel of Cary, you probably won't be happy much anywhere around here. Even in Raleigh, It's pretty much the same.

What's up with the door issue?
We have a wooden door and a glass screen door. We've had that in every home we've ever had. I thought everyone did! And yes, we keep our "big door" open when we're home. It lets more light into the house without worrying about the bugs.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:14 PM

Oh, and they are currently actively working on new plans for downtown revitalization and development, We're very excited about that. Whole foodd is a chain, so I wouldn't expect to find that very interesting. The ampitheater is quite pretty, you should catch a show there if you get a chance. The Symphony for July 4th is a great one (but crowded).

Old 05-01-2007, 03:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
I think we've seen it all in Cary. The old downtown (zzzz, sorry, not very vibrant), the new subdivisions, established subdivisions. With the exception of MacGregor Downs which I loved due to the privacy of the lots (mature trees) and diversity of architecture, seems like Cary is a lot of cookie cutter SD and shopping plazas.

I did like the Whole Foods. And haven't seen a performance at the much-touted amphitheatre yet.

But seems so...vanilla. And I am still amazed that these huge homes (4000 sq) are on small lots. Don't people care about a good sized back yard? If no, why not? Just go to the pool or play tennis, who needs a personal back garden?

And what is up with the big glass door over the wood door? How does that work? Leave the wood door open and let everyone peer into the home via the glass door? Or is it more of the 'open' feel but not a screen door?

Not saying that everyone wants the same thing, so please do not misunderstand. Not saying Cary is 'bad', 'undesirable', not saying I disagree with Money Mag/CNN 'Best Place to Raise Family' award.

Just saying it seems to lack character and culture. Chain stores and restaurants everywhere. Even the 'Groceryboy Jr.' was more than one location, which amazed me as I thought for certain that had to be a small town corner shop!

The glass door was a big thing on Long Island as well..in fact I will be putting one on my home, I am not in Cary...I like light, having an entry door closed all the time, would drive me crazy...

Old 05-01-2007, 03:27 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
If you didn't like the look and feel of Cary, you probably won't be happy much anywhere around here. Even in Raleigh, It's pretty much the same.

What's up with the door issue?
We have a wooden door and a glass screen door. We've had that in every home we've ever had. I thought everyone did! And yes, we keep our "big door" open when we're home. It lets more light into the house without worrying about the bugs.
Where is "around here"?

Because Cary is certainly not the model for the rest of the triangle.....

Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM

18 posts, read 34,915 times
This is a little discouraging. Out of everything I've read Cary seems like the place I want to go.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Where is "around here"?

Because Cary is certainly not the model for the rest of the triangle.....
The things that the OP specifically mentioned about Cary can be also be found throughout the triangle, such as chain stores and restaurants everywhere, cookie cutter homes, large homes on small lots and storm doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary