Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:06 AM

548 posts, read 2,648,801 times

Advertisements

Just keep an eye out for Lyme Disease symptoms. Otherwise, it's totally FINE. PLEASE don't go get her antibiotics. The overuse of antibiotics (for something as simple as a tick? when she's not even sick??) is what is responsible for antibiotics' reduced effectiveness. People are no longer responding to antibiotics as they once did b/c of mutation b/c lpeople overuse and misuse antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 06:17 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,692,673 times
The spray usually is pyrethrins.

* And you do not want to leave the heads of the ticks in you, or your pets. That is why the doc waited for the tick to come out. And no alcohol will not kill the tick immediately, if at all without drowning it in a bottle for a long while(hence that is why it was able to come out).

Ticks can also be found flying on the wind out of tree after a good gust. So best to wear a hat also as a precaution.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:29 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,692,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Just keep an eye out for Lyme Disease symptoms. Otherwise, it's totally FINE. PLEASE don't go get her antibiotics. The overuse of antibiotics (for something as simple as a tick? when she's not even sick??) is what is responsible for antibiotics' reduced effectiveness. People are no longer responding to antibiotics as they once did b/c of mutation b/c lpeople overuse and misuse antibiotics.
Lyme disease does not always show symptoms. That is where the danger lies and that is why antibiotics are given. It can be years before proper diagnosis of Lyme Disease is given. And in certain areas lyme disease is so common as a precaution it has to be given. So I really do feel in these situations they would be justified. As the lasting effects from having lyme disease are not to be toyed with.
In the case of a person having a sneeze here or a sneeze twice a week, yes you are correct, not justified in running for the antibiotics.

And ticks are not simple. They carry many deadly diseases. That is the danger with ticks.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:39 AM

I don't know...I've grown up with them, and had too many to count. I've had many tick heads stuck in. if I'd taken antibiotics every time I'd had a tick...it would be too many times to count. I understand Lyme disease is a big thing if left untreated, but can you imagine treating all the diseases you've been exposed to but haven't shown you have contracted, or that you've only POSSIBLY been exposed to?? If someone is really concerned, they could have Antibodies to Borrelia burgdorferi by immunofluorescence (IFA) checked or ELISA. ELISA tests are confirmed with a Western blot test done once a year or something to make sure they don't have asymptomatic Lyme disease. Alternatively, they could keep the tick and take that in for testing. My mother did that on a couple of ticks she had.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,623,776 times
Default Tick questions

Hi there,

We live in Northern New Jersey and our backyard is the state lands. We see lots of ticks and the little I know about them I can share with you. There are deer ticks and dog ticks. The dog ticks are larger and do not carry lyme disease. The deer tick, very small, is the carrier of the lyme. The other question I would ask you was the tic on your daughter flat or round? That can answer if it has been there a long time or not. Please try and rest assure that not all deer tics carry the lyme and three of my four children have had tics removed, including my dog, and have never contracted the disease. Also, I do know a few with the disease and it is very very treatable with a full recovery. Jeannie

Old 05-04-2007, 08:02 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,012,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Hi there,

We live in Northern New Jersey and our backyard is the state lands. We see lots of ticks and the little I know about them I can share with you. There are deer ticks and dog ticks. The dog ticks are larger and do not carry lyme disease. The deer tick, very small, is the carrier of the lyme. The other question I would ask you was the tic on your daughter flat or round? That can answer if it has been there a long time or not. Please try and rest assure that not all deer tics carry the lyme and three of my four children have had tics removed, including my dog, and have never contracted the disease. Also, I do know a few with the disease and it is very very treatable with a full recovery. Jeannie
Well I found a tiny little tick in my washng machine which was alive and kicking or should I say crawling. The one on my daughter was larger than the one in my WM but not round. It looked like it had deflated if that makes any sense. It was still smaller than a pencil head eraser. WE go in at 2PM and I feel good about going in and I will feel just as good about giving her antibiotics if that is what her DR says she needs. I have a feeling it had been there quite awhile indetected.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 12,231 times
Wouldn't mess around if part of the tick is still in. Two summers ago my daughter had a tiny tiny tick on her wrist. I pulled it out (it looked like a tiny freckly) and called the dr. She said to write on my calendar when I found it because Lyme's takes awhile to manifest. Sure enough, one month later my daughter was covered in the bullseye rash (and not where she got bit). Was on antibiotics for a month but is fine now. That was in NJ. Here in Raleigh, I already found tiny ones on my sons and my hubby so keeping an eye open. I don't think Lymes is as much an issue here as up North but just read that Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is common in these areas. Yes, you can spray your yard for ticks and if you have a pet, highly recommend FrontLine for them to keep ticks off them. Good luck

Old 05-04-2007, 08:55 AM

174 posts, read 570,582 times
From my rather limited understanding, the tiny deer tick transmits Lyme's disease and the larger dog tick transmits Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Both need to be attached for 24 hours to transmit, so check for ticks daily.

If I took antibiotics every time I had a tick bite, I'd be one sick puppy, but nobody is sure about the beginnings of Lyme's so I have no opinion about using antibiotics in your situation.

More information than you really want can be found here:

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/CID/journal/issues/v43n9/40897/40897.html (broken link)

and here

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/index.htm

Old 05-04-2007, 09:22 AM

Doctors WAY overprescribe antibiotics. If people keep using them like they do, we will start seeing people dying from Scarlet Fever and many other illnesses, like in times past. Sad that people do not think about long-term effects.

If you do use them, use them ALL. Stopping part way through makes the problem even worse and allows mutations more easily.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:10 AM

850 posts, read 3,626,852 times
Deer ticks are the very small ones that look like freckles and are the ones that carry Lymes as someone mentioned. Dog ticks are the ones that swell up with blood to many times their size. When they start to deflate they look a grayish green. The lone star tick is similar to the deer tick (it has a white dot on its body) and is also said to less frequently be a carrier of lymes and another disease similar to lymes.

We've pulled many ticks off our kids here in NC (but none in NJ). We put the tick in a bag and mark it with the date and hold onto it for reactions. So that if we see anything, we can take the tick in for testing.

Someone on a NC board recommended something called Mosquito Barrier for tick repellant. It is an extreme garlic concentrate that is supposed to kill and deter mosquitoes, ticks and fleas on one's property. I haven't sprayed it yet so can't attest to its working but its non toxic. Google it and you'll find it.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary