Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:23 PM

53 posts, read 162,202 times

Advertisements

MY husband and I made an offer on a house in Gen Laurel in Clayton, and they said yes! We will be closing on or before June 25. Can't wait to move from Ca. The only problem was while I was house hunting this weekend, being from Ca. and not understanding the tick thing. I went wandering through the shrub and forest. All awhile my realtor yelling at me about snakes, so I got out of there. Hours later when I went to take a shower I found 13 ticks attached to me It was gross. Hubby and I used the tweezers to pull them out. One big, the rest small. ( We did not make an offer on the house with the forest in the back yard, my choice) The Orkin man will be my best friend when we move. Looking for friends out there for hubby, myself, 11 year old son, and 4 year old daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:47 PM

36 posts, read 144,541 times
Default careful

Be careful! Lyme disease is not to be messed with. With 13 ticks, I would get treated right away. And it's a bit of a myth about the deer carrying the ticks....yes, it's true, but it's the mice that carry them to the deer. So, you might have a field mouse problem.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
I too am from CA and I am getting a quick education on the ticks! Actually if you do a search I have posted an entire thread regarding ticks so you too can read and get educated! I have found out that this year is the worst they have had in a loooonnnngggg time! Also your yard can be sprayed for them. They are so gross!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
If you found the ticks the evening after you picked them up, it is unlikely they transmitted anything even if they were carrying lyme. Just keep an eye on the area of the bites. If you develop a rash or other symptoms, go to the doctor, otherwise, just we're bugspray.

A good primer on lyme disease

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...id=smartliving

Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM

478 posts, read 2,046,070 times
Thirteen ticks is a nightmare, my sincere sympathies. I had one on me for days (too busy to notice/shower) and I am trying not to freak out about it.

So disgusting. I feel ill thinking about ticks.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:23 PM

36 posts, read 144,541 times
Only 11% of people who contract Lyme actually get a rash. It's better to watch for flu-like symptoms.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
wow, I'm a native and I don't think I've ever seen 13 ticks on anyone. I've had two my whole life and my kids have each had one or two over the years, but never that many at once. Sounds like you walked through a nest of them or something.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:41 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
I've found it rare that you get one deer tick, usually if you get one, you get a bunch.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:59 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,593 times
Okay without sounding like a uppity Californian woman, that is just discusting. I have had all my dogs treated for ticks, Frontline, in anticipation of them running through our woods when we move. I have bought about six bottles of Avon, skin so soft bug spray for ticks and mosquitos. I think I am ready, but let me tell you, if I found thirteen things burrowing in my body I wouldn't care about what kind, I would be in a looney bin. I take my hat off to you Svenskagirl, but I don't want ticks in my hair......ugh....

Old 05-16-2007, 09:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I've most commonly only found one deer tick at a time. Never, ever, more than two (not that it can't happen, obviously). But seriously, I've lived here my whole life in wooded yards, tramping throught the forest, we camp frequently, and I've neverv seen that many one one person at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary