Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:33 PM

46 posts, read 133,931 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are looking for houses in Chapel Hill and found a couple of nice ones on a cul de sac off of Rogers Road in Chapel Hill. Our realtor told us that it "might not be a family friendly area due to the presence of Habitat houses". (I am quoting her) Would anyone have any idea about this? Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,069,926 times
Sounds like your realtor needs to learn more about Habitat for Humanity.
Habitat for Humanity Fact Sheet -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l
People who get HfH homes may not have large incomes, but that does not mean that they are bad people. They must actually help to build their own houses, and then they must buy the houses with their own money (in other words, the houses aren't free, although they are less expensive since HfH is non-profit).

I say you should look at the neighborhood yourself. If people are taking care of their homes and you feel safe, then good. If you don't feel comfortable there, then move on. But please take your realtor's classist assumptions with a grain of salt.

(By the way, my realtor is a regular volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and has personally raised more than $100,000 for the organization. That's actually one of the major reason why we chose to work with him.)

Old 07-09-2007, 04:25 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,921,661 times
That is... disgusting.

Habitat is a wonderful organization that provides a hand-up, *not* a hand-out to working individuals who happen to fall at the low end of the income scale. Those individuals must contribute hundreds of hours of labor to the construction of their houses, and then pay a (reasonable, interest-free) mortgage when all is said and done.

Most Habitat residents have families themselves and want a decent life for their kids -- quite 'family friendly' indeed.

To be honest, if I were in your shoes, I'd complain to your county's board of Realtors -- and I'd find a new Realtor to boot.

And I wouldn't worry a bit about having an HFH neighborhood near your house.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I know a little bit about HoH, enough to know that it does not mean a negative connotation, but I wasn't sure if she was saying something nuanced (on the phone) that I didn't catch.

We will be in Chapel Hill this coming weekend and certainly hope to look at the houses and the neighborhood so we can decide for ourselves. And I shall keep a grain of salt, or two, on hand

Thanks again MrsSteel

Old 07-09-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
And I wouldn't worry a bit about having an HFH neighborhood near your house.
Thank you Bull City Rising. That is what I thought too.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 AM

823 posts, read 3,927,114 times
That location would be near the new elementary school, Homestead Park, and Homestead Rd. It sounds like it would be a good location, yet not totally built up. We are in a neighborhood in Chapel Hill that is a bit transitional in terms of home sizes ($$$ homes and $ homes in very close proximity) but the neighbors are fine and it doesn't seem to affect the property values of the $$$ homes.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:30 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,699,058 times
Default extremely disturbing...

And I cannot see in any possible way how the Realtor throwing that disgraceful comment out would think for any moment it was appropriate.

I cannot see why this area would not be considered an area to look into,
Especially, if that is all the Realtor had for "negative" comments,

Old 07-10-2007, 07:34 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,978,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suparbh View Post

We are looking for houses in Chapel Hill and found a couple of nice ones on a cul de sac off of Rogers Road in Chapel Hill. Our realtor told us that it "might not be a family friendly area due to the presence of Habitat houses". (I am quoting her)
Wow...reprehensible and disgusting. I'd report her to the state board, though it probably didn't technically violate their rules.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_61 View Post
That location would be near the new elementary school, Homestead Park, and Homestead Rd. It sounds like it would be a good location, yet not totally built up. We are in a neighborhood in Chapel Hill that is a bit transitional in terms of home sizes ($$$ homes and $ homes in very close proximity) but the neighbors are fine and it doesn't seem to affect the property values of the $$$ homes.
alice_61 thanks. This is helpful. Which new elementary school would it be? Would it affect my son who will be going into 1st grade this fall? I think currently that area goes to Seawell. (from the realtor website at least).

Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Wow...reprehensible and disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
I cannot see why this area would not be considered an area to look into,
Especially, if that is all the Realtor had for "negative" comments,

To be fair, I must say that he didn't steer us away from that neighborhood. Just mentioned that in passing. I certainly would prefer to go and see for myself before we buy and that goes for any neighborhood. We are visiting the place for a week, so I think we will have enough time to look around and decide for ourselves. I am greatly looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary