Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The children I referenced aren't tolerated (at least not in my house) and are certainly not "spice". These children are friends to my children and are considered as equals. It's rhetoric such as this that threatens to undermine the better parts of the concept. Kids pick up on these sentiments and it obscures their ability to form their own opinions and values by which to assess people that they meet.
I am not talking about what goes on in your house or anyone else's house. I am talking about what goes on in the schools.

Not speaking about it, or stating that speaking about it is the cause of the friction is misguided.

We have to talk about it.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Better to have 10% of educated voters decide based on fact than to have 90% of uneducated voters decide based on gut instinct. Large voter turnout usually ends in bad decisions.

In this case of low voter turnout, the right decision was made and now the majority of Wake County citizens are having a celebration party.
lol such a fascist... i agree with you though. i was shocked at the low turnout, but the more i thought about it, the better i realized it probably is. it weeds out the "i like their tie" and "i'd like to have a beer with THAT guy!" voters.

i'm glad this busing thing looks like it's on its way out. i'd be rather irritated if my kids had to go to a new school every couple of years.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM

99 posts, read 181,912 times
Default Will this help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Someone please tell me WHERE it is written or stated that it is a RIGHT to go to the closest school? It may be your preference, but it is NOT a right!
I doubt this will help but I will try. It's not about being an elitist or whatever, it's about choice. All people have to start somewhere. A good home, a broken home, a Moderator cut: language neighborhood, a small college, no college (insert starting point here) and if they are hard working they achieve. And when they achieve and have success they might buy some nice clothes, or a nicer car, or better yet......maybe a nicer home in a nicer community. They upgrade. And as apart of the success people have from the fruits of their labor they decide to go to a place they can now afford that they vision as a nicer place with a good school. So they move there and try to raise a family. Then they get there and they find that as a reward for their achievements their kids can not go to the school in their neighborhood. It's Moderator cut: language!

All people want is a choice, and as law abiding tax payers we should have it. My neighborhood is well diversified. The school is diversified. Lots of good people live in it from all different walks of life. And they moved here to put their kids in a good neighborhood school.

People are tired of having this kind of garbage shoved down their throats. All the problems Wake County, the State of NC have, and best we can come up with lately is to raise insurance rates or tax people because they are obese or smoke? It's not about creating jobs, building more schools, creating more outreach programs for those who really need it and not working the system...all so they can better their lives and maybe one day they can move to a better home and possibly put their kid in a better school.

I guess you never had a choice so you wouldn't understand the concept.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-07-2009 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 PM

99 posts, read 181,912 times
Default Very Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
At the most basic, fundamental level I want my children to attend the school closest to our home and be provided with the best education possible.

There's a reason why I sacrifice my time and energy to have a career and generate the level of income that I do. I want my children to be surrounded by others who are also encouraged to learn, explore and expand on their horizons. I don't want them to be part of a social experiment or be forced to try and integrate with children for whom public school is little more than free babysitting.

However I would also counter that many of the "bused" children have greatly enhanced the school experience for my kids and have opened their minds to the fact that despite socio-economic differences ability is ability and poorer people are not dumber people.

I would also offer that despite some of the very real challenges thrust upon them by busing the teachers seem to maintain the level of learning I would expect from a geographically segregated school. Having lived in both types of school districts I can't tell you that one is truly better than the other.

I do wish there was an opt-out clause though for those families who are faced with the daunting prospects of unacceptably long bus rides or distances that would make it difficult for their children to establish a local social network.
Very well put. The opt-out....it's about having a choice to allow your kids to go to the school closest to your home. If others want to come to our neighborhood school it's OK, but I want the same opportunity. I worked for it and put myself and my family in a position to be involved in our community and local church, but I have NO say as to whether my kids get to go to the school near my house? That's a problem.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 PM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
lol such a fascist... i agree with you though. i was shocked at the low turnout, but the more i thought about it, the better i realized it probably is. it weeds out the "i like their tie" and "i'd like to have a beer with THAT guy!" voters.

i'm glad this busing thing looks like it's on its way out. i'd be rather irritated if my kids had to go to a new school every couple of years.
Unfortunately more people than not vote by silly things like that when you have a big voter turnout. I would rather keep it to people educated about issues and not have people vote based on feelings or hope. Facts and records are a much better indicator.

This vote came down to one thing. People in power refused to listen to what the majority of people were saying. They had an agenda and tried to ram it down the throats of Wake County parents and did not give a hoot about what they thought. The parents finally had their say and took care of business. I say good for them and now great for our kids. Keep kids close to home, save on the cost of busing, apply that money to fix the problem where it is and go green at the same time. Everyone wins, except the dictators that got thrown out on their rear ends.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexIntruder View Post
Unfortunately more people than not vote by silly things like that when you have a big voter turnout. I would rather keep it to people educated about issues and not have people vote based on feelings or hope.
Wow. I thought we accepted Thomas Jefferson's views a couple of centuries ago - that we would trust the wisdom of the people at large over the "englighted" governance of an educated, privileged class.

ALL VOICES count and have value worthy of being listened to. None are superior to others and deserving of having their views alone dictate the direction of our government.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:34 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
No "dictators" got thrown out. Their terms were up!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times
Well-said, CHT. And I'd like to add that no child deserves a better education or a better school than any other child, regardless of what their parents have earned or accumulated.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 PM

393 posts, read 673,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
I'd like to add that no child deserves a better education or a better school than any other child, regardless of what their parents have earned or accumulated.

Correct. So fix the school they are in, rather than bringing in kids to prop up the grades and stop bringing kids with bad grades to schools with good grades to average out the scores. Fix the problem where it started, which is in the poor performing schools.

I am glad the majority sees it the way I do.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM

36 posts, read 106,385 times
Wake county is just paying the price for poor city planning. Y'all built and built and gave free reign to the developers without controls on affordable housing, leading to extremely inequitable neighborhoods, and therefore school districts.

Enjoy your bed. You made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary