Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 PM

124 posts, read 504,317 times

Advertisements

Just an observation, but I am shocked at the higher end new homes with direct vent gas fireplaces in the Triangle region. My personal opinion, coming from the North, is that gas (fake) fireplaces, are somewhat tacky, and that if you are going to be over $400,000, a real fireplace is to be expected. I am fully aware that for the most part, the need for a real fireplace is nonexistent in this area, but if that is the case why bother with any fireplace at all, gas or real? Comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Gas fireplaces seem to be (or are becoming) the norm around here. I've seen them used in $1+ million homes, with wood fireplaces relegated to being used outdoors on a patio. My last home had a wood fireplace, and my current has a gas fireplace. My experience has been I use the gas fireplace much more often - it is really easy to just walk over and flip a switch than it is to bring in the wood and get it going, and it is nice to be able to leave the home or go to bed without worrying about smoldering embers. That said, I really do miss the smell and sound of a real wood fire. But overall, I find the tradeoff to be a good one.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,345 times
I agree with you 100%! It was so hard to find a REAL fireplace and who wants a fireplace you turn on?! Why not sit around the stove? Plus I agree that I think it looks really tacky. The crackle of pinecones on the fire, watching the (real) flames flicker...can't be beat. But...as I found in a similar thread, there are MANY people who love their gas fireplaces, even at the high end of the market. Apparently there are more requests these days for that than for real fireplaces.

One thing is that most higher end homes seem to have is a real chimney w/a gas insert (or something like that...don't know what it's called). So you can convert it to a real fireplace. So you can check and make sure any you're considering have that. Apparently it's not too expensive to make that conversion.

One of many reasons I love older homes!

Oh, I should add that our last home had gas and I hated it. Never used it. Just was not the same experience at all. In this house, w/our real fireplace, we used it a minimum of once a week during winter, and often more than that.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,017 times
Gas logs are certainly fake looking. And there's no substitute for real wood fires. It's manly! But gas fireplaces have a huge convenience factor as RFB indicated. And they're likely less expensive to install since you don't need a huge masonry chimney. Not to mention a real fireplace is supposedly a negative impact on heating (consumes more warm house air as used in combustion than heat it creates) unless it's a European design (large masonry surface with non-straight flue for extended radiant heat) or has some other heat conductive design elements like blowers, etc. In contrast gas log fireplaces are furnace rated and use outside air for combustion thus negating the heat loss of a wood masonry fireplace. So there's a ton of factors to consider.

My current house has a masonry chimney with black granite facade over the old brick as seen inside the house and then a gas insert installed into the masonry fireplace. The gas insert was done as it was less expensive than fixing the broken flue tiles which were a fire hazard. I'd have had to rebuild the entire chimney (most expensive) or run a stainless steel insert down from the cap to the flue to negate the cracked tiles (about as expensive as a gas insert). Instead we installed the gas log insert and ran a comparatively cheaper flue liner up the chimney to draw outside air for combustion and for venting. We use our gas insert very frequently, particularly in spring/fall when we don't have the house furnace on. Turns on instantly, heats our family room quickly, and doesn't look TOO fake as it has a brick veneer liner inside to give it a masonry look in the firebox instead of black steel like most.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Interesting. We had our real fireplace replaced with gas logs and we love them. For some reason around here, gas logs are usually considered an upgrade from the hassle of wood burning fireplaces. Maybe it's similar to the vinyl siding issue: some people think it's awesome for the convenience and cost while others hate the fake look and feel.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM

ANd also, our logs were iinstalled into a masonry wood burning fireplace, so they could always be removed and the gas cut off, no problem.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:58 PM

64 posts, read 251,153 times
I hate our wood burning fireplace... I mean, I love it, but I HATE IT. Keeping the stacks sufficient without them being overrun with insects or rot is a pain. The cleanup is a pain. I love the smell, sound, and fell of the real deal but it is simply too much hassle. Fireplaces are the norm simply because it fills up wallspace and looks like a properly set living room.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:34 PM

59 posts, read 268,785 times
I think a gas fireplace is much like a fake Christmas tree. I prefer the real thing even if it is a hassle.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:41 PM

709 posts, read 934,611 times
Wait until you see what it costs to run a natural gas fireplace!! You can spend an additional 150 a month even down here if you use it say 5 hours a day everyday!!

It really is a little furnace that unless you have a blower package has the heat go right out the vent!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM

The gas does cost more, but in the winter, our electric bill is very, very low from using gas. I think it balances out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary