Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 PM

330 posts, read 985,209 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite entertainment places is about to be reborn in the old Bullwinkle's space on Buck Jones in Cary.

For years Six String Cafe operated in McGregor Village and was very popular place to hear great talent. Lots of artists on tour would stop there and I liked the amateur nights when locals would play. Sadly, they closed a couple of years back. There space was too small to make a profit.

I hear that the new space will give them seating for over 200. I'm not sure what their food situation will be but they will have a full bar.

I am so excited to soon have another choice of quality (and affordable) entertainment.

If you go to their website you can sign up on their newsletter list and get weekly updates on all the concerts.

Six String Cafe' and Music Hall - Live Music, Great Restaurant and Sports Bar in Raleigh / Cary North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 AM

111 posts, read 326,259 times
The correct website is now
Six String Cafe & Music Hall • Home Page (not .com)

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Your URL got messed up.

The new one should be

Six String Cafe & Music Hall • Home Page

Old 03-18-2010, 02:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Just an FYI, the original owner of Six String has pulled out of the business. You can read about what is going on here: Six String Cafe' and Music Hall - Live Music in Raleigh / Cary North Carolina

We've been twice. The show was good, the food was awful (both times).

Old 03-18-2010, 03:16 PM

I went for lunch about a month ago and the hamburger was great. I would say that the main reason for going would be for the music, not the food. That was the same as their former location.

So hopefully they can make it on the music/bar concept alone and not depend on the food side of things.

It is sad that David is no longer with the company. He was always such a warm spirit.

Shane

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazers View Post
I went for lunch about a month ago and the hamburger was great. I would say that the main reason for going would be for the music, not the food. That was the same as their former location.

So hopefully they can make it on the music/bar concept alone and not depend on the food side of things.

It is sad that David is no longer with the company. He was always such a warm spirit.

Shane
Well, one half is a bar and restaurant and the other half is the area for shows (you pay separately). They don't have shows every night, so if they can't support it with decent food, it's not going to survive. I unfortunately didn't give a full review in my previous post. The MUSICIAN (Mark McGuinn) was wonderful and highly entertaining. Unfortunately the show was interrupted multiple times due to sound system failure. The keyboard cut off several times (completely) and at one point the Mr McGuinn was sitting on stage holding two ends of an electrical cord that the sound guy tossed him (while middle of a song) joking about being electrocuted! Luckily, he was a good enough entertainer to move the audience through several very awkward technical situations he had to deal with.
I hope they are successful because it's a unique concept, but we have not been too impressed with what we've experienced so far and will probably wait a while before we consider returning or recommending it to anyone.

Last edited by lamishra; 03-18-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 PM

521 posts, read 1,599,043 times
Sounds like they kept the chef from Bullwinkle's on staff. (Oy, that place had terrible food.)

Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,984,491 times
YEAH!!! I LOVE SIX STRINGS CAFE!!

I wonder if they will keep the fountain from the Bullwinkles set...and the magical window shades!

I can't say much for the food except the hummus was really good. I was there the night it closed and it was really sad. I wish this new location much success. ANYTHING is better than that "over-rated" Bullwinkles place!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM

They did not keep the fountain or the shades, but the entire original stage set up is still there (it';s actually a little weird if you used to go to Bullwinkles, because the whole time the musicians are stage, you keep thinking a big a creepy Moose is going to start singing too!). It's entirely different management and ownership now that David has left.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

111 posts, read 326,259 times
I've gone to The Six String on Buck Jones Road twice, both times were great. I've not had any bad experience there. The food was fine. It's not gourmet- (for gourmet in Cary I like Rey's or Maximilien's) but it was definitely above par for similar priced restaurants. Maybe like a Chili's type restaurant, only I believe the prices are cheaper. I had ravioli the first time, and I thought is was great. I REALLY liked the mousse cake that they had. I forget what my husband had. The second time I got a fried chicken salad- 9 bucks, my husband got a six string burger-8 bucks. We both enjoyed our food. For my kids, I got for them to split, 2 chicken breast halves with mushrooms and onions, with broccoli and roasted potatoes that came with a salad (not just lettuce, but a real salad with cucumber, tomato, cheese and black olives!) AND it was only $14! Both times the server was great- very nice, attentive and sweet to the kids. Both times the food came out soon after we ordered. I think I love the lodge atmosphere the most- it looks and feels great inside. I love all the wood. It is great that they have games to help keep the kids occupied. They have a driving video game, a hunter game, skee ball (is it called skee ball?), basketball hoop, fussball and air hockey. They have a pool table as well.

I've never been there for a concert, but I've seen the stage and it is awesome. It has the Bullwinkle's stuff but painted black. It is really cool, surreal looking. I've been wanting to go back for a concert, but bluegrass is what I'm most interested in hearing and it is during the week- hard to get babysitting. I'll definitely report back about the concert when we finally get out there. But I'd go back anytime for a meal, or to have a beer and play pool, or have that mousse cake and coffee.

I love when interesting places come to the area, especially locally owned ones, and I hope they do great. They usually have lunch specials, so if you work close by it would be a nice place to have a work lunch. I have never been there during lunch, but it is definitely a place I'd invite moms for a play date lunch, and there is plenty of room and the space is organized such that there can be kids and people who don't appreciate kids dining without conflicts. And it is DEFINITELY a great place to go, grab a beer and hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary