Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:05 PM

9 posts, read 53,503 times

Advertisements

Im moving to Raleigh this summer and Im sad about having to leave my favorite bar in Virginia. Does anyone know of a good chill, hole-in-the-wall bar with a relaxed crowd and charming character thats not crowded all the time? Kind of like Cheers, kind of a dive. someplace thats a downtown Raleigh staple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:08 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveguy321 View Post
Im moving to Raleigh this summer and Im sad about having to leave my favorite bar in Virginia. Does anyone know of a good chill, hole-in-the-wall bar with a relaxed crowd and charming character thats not crowded all the time? Kind of like Cheers, kind of a dive. someplace thats a downtown Raleigh staple.

I'm sure it gets crowded at times, but I have visited Tir na nog downtown and it is a very "homey" Irish bar/tavern

Old 05-08-2007, 02:09 PM

27 posts, read 129,559 times
The Players Retreat on the corner of Hillsborough Street and Oberlin Road. Great food and a very laid back atmosphere. A Raleigh icon.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM

9 posts, read 53,503 times
I've heard Players Retreat is cool, I cant wait to check it out, thanks!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:14 PM

47 posts, read 244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I'm sure it gets crowded at times, but I have visited Tir na nog downtown and it is a very "homey" Irish bar/tavern
This is a fun place. Great atmosphere. I was there only once when I was down on business. Plan to visit again when we move there.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:18 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveguy321 View Post

I am there with you buddy. I have a favorite place I go to, and it is a nice place to have a beer and catch up with friends. I hope I will find one near my new house as well. Lets get some more ideas.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I know of SEVERAL dive type bars that can be fun, but I think it depends more on the crowd you like. For some real dive bars try: The Pour House, Goat Bar, and Jackpot. For som eless dive-ish, but friendly places try Mac's Tavern in Cary (totally like Cheers but IMO, the crowd weirds me out sometimes) but everyone in there is very friendly (you sit at the bar and the people next to you will just start talking), also Mitch's Tavern is a Raleigh staple with the NCSU crowd, but it's not really totally like a college bar. It's popular with professors and stuff too. Mitch's Tavern is very laid back. Players retreat is also fun.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM

71 posts, read 79,288 times
I suggest a pub crawl in the vicinity of Moore's Square. Lots of crappy watering holes around there due to vicinity to state & local government offices.

Stay away from the NCSU area. Too many young bucks that get belligerent when they've had a few PBR's in them and don't know how to handle it.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
we found a great little hole in the wall walking distance from our Econolodge.

O'Malley's Irish Pub and Restaurant
5228 Holly Ridge, Raleigh

a lot of atmosphere/regulars and the food was really good.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
I used to live in the neighborhood behind O' Malleys (Oak Park). I was nice because O'Malley's was there as well as Casa Carbone and The Peddler Steakhouse.

O'Malley's is a decent place, just sort of out of the way of everything else in Raleigh. There used to be a place called Gino Russo's right across the street (across Glenwood Ave) from O'Malley's that we used to frequent. It was a pretty happening place on the weekends with live music and an oyster bar. The guy who owned also owns the oyster bar in Cary (and I can't remember the name of it now).
I don't know if it's still there or not, but that used to be a pretty fun place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary