Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 PM

532 posts, read 2,847,039 times

Advertisements

How much should I expect to pay for fall shutdown (winterization) and spring start up of my irrigation here in the Triangle? And, no I can't do it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 AM

86 posts, read 324,443 times
We pay for the spring start up because we have to being in the town of Cary for their backflow test. I think it's $65.00.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
We pay for the spring start up because we have to being in the town of Cary for their backflow test. I think it's $65.00.
Do you blow out your own lines or remove your own backflow preventer for winter?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,959,613 times
Removal of the backflow preventer is essential, given that it's exposed. It will freeze and you'll end up with leaks. It's easily removed by any homeowner (after shutting off the main system water valve.)

I've never blown out in-ground lines (nor does anyone else I know). Just not necessary in this part of the country.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM

148 posts, read 677,211 times
Also, when we get hit with days of freezing temps, remember if water is left in the backflow valve it will freeze and crack in the garage too...store it somewhere insulated and empty.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Good point. I always dump the water out of my backflow valve, being careful not to lose the O-rings on the bottoms of the pipes when I turn it over. I do store mine in my garage. I always lay it on some newspaper and give it a very heavy spray of WD-40.

Also be sure to cover up the openings of the pipes to which the valve was connected so no debris gets in them. I slip a plastic baggie over each and then tie them with a length of string.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:50 AM

I'm in Raleigh city limits. Can Raleigh homeowners remove in fall and reinstall in spring their own backflow preventer, or does a "pro" need to certify it or test it such as in the case of Angelus' post above (who lives in Cary)? I hope that's true, it will save me some coin.

Oh, and when should the backflow preventer be taken apart?

Last edited by cstleddy; 10-20-2009 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: added timing

Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
I'm in Raleigh city limits. Can Raleigh homeowners remove in fall and reinstall in spring their own backflow preventer, or does a "pro" need to certify it or test it such as in the case of Angelus' post above (who lives in Cary)? I hope that's true, it will save me some coin. Oh, and when should the backflow preventer be taken apart?
I always did when I lived in Raleigh (until just a couple of years ago).

Take the backflow preventer off before the first freeze. By this time of year, it's really shouldn't be necessary to run your irrigation system anyway - you don't really need to wait until the warnings of the first impending freeze. By the time October hits, you can shut off the system and remove the valve.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,085,197 times
For Durham County residents reading along ... Durham did allow backflow prevention devices w/o the "air gap" so those devices do not need to be the highest point in the system and are often buried in a irrigation box. These backflow prevention devices typically don't need to be removed, just mulch over the box to help retain the ground heat.

Frank

Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 AM

351 posts, read 770,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
How much should I expect to pay for fall shutdown (winterization) and spring start up of my irrigation here in the Triangle? And, no I can't do it myself.
I've had it done twice. The first year it was done by the builder's landscaper who installed the system. He sent us a note saying if we didn't use him it voided our warranty (I think that borders on good 'ol extortion). He charged $100 and did nothing more than remove the backflow, blow-out the system, and reinstall the backflow in the spring.

The second year we used another service which cost $50 for removal/blow-out and $75 for installation in the spring. When they reinstalled in the spring they were on site for about 45 minutes. They ran all the zones, adjusted the heads for coverage, and replaced a few heads that weren't covering properly or needed replacement. Well worth the extra $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary