Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I have been reading up a lot on life after prison for felons (no, I'm not one). Time and time again, I read about people who were convicted on drug-related felonies when they were young who, years later, can't find a decent job! Drugs, including marijuana, also oppened the door to much more serious crimes. Look at Garrido, for example. Take this extremely seriously. Drive your kid to school every day if you have to. Its usually on the bus that the bad stuff happens, my nephews tell me. That's when the schools have less control of the students.
That is indeed the least supervised time of the day. If the bus doesn't have an assistant the driver is to busy driving and paying attention to the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
I guess my point is that this parent has every right to be alarmed about his/her child getting involved with smoking 'pot', and should not settle for the argument that it is no big deal, and that they will eventually smoke it at some point in their lives anyway, because that is not necessarily true. I did not, nor do I have any plans to at this stage of my life.
Thank you for this post. The OP's question is simply what to do about marijuana being sold on her child's school bus. Comments about whether it should be legal or not, or whether it's a big deal or not, are off topic and not helpful to this discussion. If you'd like to debate those, please take it to another area of the forum.

Let's keep this thread on the topic of how the OP can best handle the situation.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM

502 posts, read 1,251,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
And, I went to a private, Catholic school so I can't even imagine what goes on in Public schools.
Uhhhhh.....I went to public school and it was from the kids who went to Catholic Schools that I bought my "recreational goods." In my district, it was only children from fairly religious families or kids who got kicked out of every public school who attended Catholic school.

Drugs are ubiquitous, and kids are resourceful when it comes to seeking a high. I even caught my nephew stuffing what looked like a gallon of Robitussin into his backpack--no cough mind you.

Most kids experiment and most seem to move on from it. While I certainly don't advocate drug use, making a giant fuss may make it more enticing.

But I am not yet the parent of a teen, so perhaps I am too optimistic....

I would imagine that contacting the school would be effective. Bus drivers have a lot going on, so perhaps the driver is not even aware. I would definitely think that your name/child's name would be kept confidential.

But, unless the school or other authority actually finds the kids in possession, it would be pretty hard to enforce. Are there random locker searches?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM

24 posts, read 65,886 times
Tell the principal and the head of the wake county school board. Seriously this is a big deal. For the parents on the board that don't think it is..I feel sorry for you.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char_Vey View Post
I was appalled to learn today that several kids on my high school child's Cary bus are openly boasting about and even selling pot while on the bus. The bus driver doesn't do anything about it. One kid apparently wreaks of pot when he gets on the bus after school every day.

I'm very naive about this drug stuff, although I will not tolerate it with my children. Is drug activity on Wake County buses typical? Who is the most effective person/entity to complain to about this? How can I be sure my information (my child's name) will be kept confidential?

Any advice?
Did you talk with your kids about how you feel? How do they feel about it?

If you think anyone at the school level is going to be as shocked an incensed as you, you're in for disappointment. It amazes me how in the dark so many parents are with what their kids do or are exposed to.

If you can't have an honest discourse with your kids about pot and how you want them to handle drugs (among other things), you'll never know exactly how your kids will behave when in those situations.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Did you talk with your kids about how you feel? How do they feel about it?

If you think anyone at the school level is going to be as shocked an incensed as you, you're in for disappointment. It amazes me how in the dark so many parents are with what their kids do or are exposed to.

If you can't have an honest discourse with your kids about pot and how you want them to handle drugs (among other things), you'll never know exactly how your kids will behave when in those situations.
I think folks at the school are going to be incensed but not surprised. Ticked but not surprised. Wanting to nail the kid but not surprised. Wanting to do something but frustrated by the limits of their ability to enforce policy just as the School Resource Officer will be as well as transportation. Students will sell drugs at a time and place when the odds of getting caught are minimal and the bus is one of those moments.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I'm not surprised at all. Doesn't mean I want it to continue without the dealers being punished, though.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 AM

18 posts, read 41,842 times
Apparently a lively topic and I thank everyone for your thoughtful insight. Yes, we talk to our children about drugs; that is why our child felt comfortable enough telling us what was going on.

After getting some more feedback, I fear that if I complain to the high school, the school may well opt for some kind of "soft" discipline of the kids involved, and I am more of a "tough love" type. Has anyone had experience with Cary PD to know if they will indeed keep a source confidential?

Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I think if you call the non-emergency number and ask for advice and ask what action, if any, they would take, that you should remain anonymous and you shouldn't don't give out any details.

Just get information first, and then you can make your decision about sharing other information.

Of COURSE no one is surprised by pot being sold on a schoolbus. Even grandparents remember how prevalent pot was in their youth! But the incident should be investigated. It should not be happening.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Unless you know the principal will not take this information seriously, I would give he/she the opportunity to handle it. They have the same control of buses as they do the school, the bus is an extension of the school. Students are held to the same rules as listed in the wcpss handbook, which should be on line at WCPSS: School Bus Transportation General Policies (http://www.wcpss.net/transportation/policies.html - broken link) -(search needed). Interestingly, I'd forgotten this, the bus driver can discipline the kids by writing them up...but I'd report it to the principal. You can call him/her & use your first name if you'd rather be anonymous for your child's sake.

Now if the principal doesn't respond, the next step would be to go above them, they have an area school board liaison who they report to. This info should be on the school system's (above) site. I found it there a few mts ago. Your PTA should have this info if you can't find it.

You asked about Cary PD. I cannot answer this question but would think they might keep it on the QT if you say you are a parent. But honestly, I'd go thru the school and if they have a resource officer, he/she should be involved as the liaison between the school and PD.

Your child deserves kudos for having the courage to tell you. The pressure on kids now is tremendous, and smoking dope CAN lead to other drug use, drop in grades, teen pregnancy, etc. You are right to not take it lightly. Posters here who tried it and it never led to other things, good for you! Not everyone gets off so easy. The younger you are when you get into it, the less you are equiped for all that it can lead to..I have seen what it can lead to. A good parent does what they can to protect their child from this.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 10-20-2009 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: posted incomplete message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary