Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM

25 posts, read 62,767 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

We are moving to Chapel Hill and after a great deal of research on the various private schools in the triangle area we have decided to start our daughter in the Chapel Hill School District.

She will start in 3rd grade next year. We have narrowed our choices of the 9 elementary schools in Chapel Hill down to the following...

Morris Grove
Elizabeth Seawell
Rashkis
Glenwood

It's not necessarily in that order but these are the schools which we felt might be the best fit for us.

I'm wondering if anyone has a child in any of these schools and might be willing to share some comments with us.

As well, we will need to find a community that goes to one of these schools. I understand that there are two "Green" communities that go to Morris Grove. We'll be coming down in a few weeks to look at homes with a realtor but realtors are limited as to what they can and can't say.

If you feel what you have to say cannot be said in public I would appreciate a DM.

I thank you in advance for any advice or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
I think you are overthinking things.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
All the schools are good. Chapel Hill is just like Lake Wobegon - all the kids (and schools) are above average.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:47 PM

When it comes to our daughter's education, for us, there is no such thing as overthinking things. We want to make the best possible choice for the entire family and there are definite differences between the various elementary schools in Chapel Hill. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one is better than the other but rather one might be better suited for our daughter.

Please note that I'm looking for helpful comments.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
Well, while there are definite differences among schools, there are definite differences among kids too. So what's good for one may not be the best for another.

Plus, I really think you might be worrying too much about this. You've got a third grader. That means she'll be in the school for three years. Then it's three years in the middle school. Then four in the high school. So unless you want to start moving again in three years, or looking again at private schools, you might not want that to be your only criteria. Moreover, so much of the educational experience is determined by the teacher and teaching assistant, and how the teacher and teaching assistant mesh with your child. (My oldest son had a great experience with his first grade teacher, but another child didn't, and this was the same year in the same class.) Teacher assignment is hard to gauge, teacher turnover is unpredictable, and programs can be moved from school to school. (The gifted program was moved out of my son's school to another school recently.) I applaud you for taking the time to find the four schools that fit your daughter best; my honest advice is to just find a home that you like in one of those districts and then, once school starts, do your best to make sure they're educational experience is going well.

I hope the above is helpful, and to hopefully help answer your query -- I have two sons in Rashkis (third grade and kindergarten). It's my second year there. Both of my kids have enjoyed school, are learning appropriately, and have good teachers, both classroom and of specials. There's no second-language immersion program like there is at other schools (I think it's Glenwood which has a Mandarin immersion program.)

Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Is there something specific about these 4 schools that generates your interest? Perhaps if we know more specifics about what you're looking for in a school, we can provide more helpful (specific) advice and information.

It's tough though - few parents have experience more than one elementary school, so it's hard for us to compare. Most will probably say positive things about the school their kid(s) attended. But as Geoff says - so much of it is dependent on the teacher and assistant, and how they mesh with a particular child. We've had some really good matches in elementary school, and some years where the teacher/child combo was not quite as good.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Hi,

It is a tough question and in talking to people we are not alone in being parents who are coming to Chapel Hill and trying to choose a community and an elementary school that best suits our daughter. Some here think that our examining the different elementary schools is foolishness but the point is we simply want to make the best choice we can for our daughter.

Our daughter has an IEP and gets resource for math, reading and some speech so it is critical for us to find a school that has a good resource team.

All we asked for was some helpful comments and I find some of the responses disheartening.

However, thank you for your comments CHT as what you say is most definitely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Is there something specific about these 4 schools that generates your interest? Perhaps if we know more specifics about what you're looking for in a school, we can provide more helpful (specific) advice and information.

It's tough though - few parents have experience more than one elementary school, so it's hard for us to compare. Most will probably say positive things about the school their kid(s) attended. But as Geoff says - so much of it is dependent on the teacher and assistant, and how they mesh with a particular child. We've had some really good matches in elementary school, and some years where the teacher/child combo was not quite as good.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
would it be possible to interview the principals or special education teachers at the schools you are considering? I'm not sure if that would help you or not as a 15 minute interview may not give you the information you seek.
I certainly understand your concerns as one of our 7 year olds had IEP when we moved to Chapel Hill during the last 6 weeks of spring semester. By the end of the semester she didn't need it anymore. We too were concerned with picking just the right house in the right school district but soon realized Chapel Hill schools in general all enjoy a great reputation and the right neighborhood and house came before trying to analyze all the various schools. We picked a great neighborhood in McDougle Elementary area and have been very happy. Good Luck. I know you will enjoy all this area has to offer, including an exceptional education for your daughter.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:22 PM

I think you have a great point. The right neighborhood is critical for our move. We have one 8 year old daughter and want to move into a location where there are a lot of kids.

Do you have any recommendations for communities? There is only the 3 of us so we do not want a large house (maximum 3300 sq. ft) and would prefer to keep the cost under 750K.

I heard there are two "green" communities in Chapel Hill but understand that the properties are very small. We don't want a lot of land but also don't want to be on a .12 of an acre plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
would it be possible to interview the principals or special education teachers at the schools you are considering? I'm not sure if that would help you or not as a 15 minute interview may not give you the information you seek.
I certainly understand your concerns as one of our 7 year olds had IEP when we moved to Chapel Hill during the last 6 weeks of spring semester. By the end of the semester she didn't need it anymore. We too were concerned with picking just the right house in the right school district but soon realized Chapel Hill schools in general all enjoy a great reputation and the right neighborhood and house came before trying to analyze all the various schools. We picked a great neighborhood in McDougle Elementary area and have been very happy. Good Luck. I know you will enjoy all this area has to offer, including an exceptional education for your daughter.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
look at neighborhoods like Lake Hogan Farms, Wexford, etc on Homestead Road. She would be welcomed at mcDougle a great elementary school with attached jr. hi(opps now they call them middle schools) plus Carrboro Library right betweeen the two schools and which is open and thriving on Sunday afternoons. If I can help more please contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary