Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM

13 posts, read 30,231 times

Advertisements

My roommate and I moved to Raleigh recently and are looking to go out. We were wondering where the best place to go for a casual bar with 20-30 somethings is. Any suggestions? Beer on tap and a good atmosphere is a plus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM

662 posts, read 1,645,179 times
We hang out at the DiveBar and Volume 11. These are kind of off the beaten path as far as what people normally recommend, but the DB is at the end of Glenwood and easy to get to, V11 is off Lake Wheeler still convenient to downtown. DB has free live original music (rock bands) Fri/Sat nites and V11 has (usually) heavy metal bands all through the week, including open mic night for any type of music on Monday nights. The DB has some great new bartenders serving up some delicious sounding drinks. Both are on Myspace and Facebook if you're interested. Bands playing tonight at both places, we'll probably check out WhiteChapel at V11.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM

238 posts, read 669,487 times
Check out the south end of Glenwood Ave. downtown. It is also known as "Glenwood South". Lots of bars/nightlife.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:05 PM

662 posts, read 1,645,179 times
Forgot to add, another place we love to go is Big Boss, home of Bad Penny beer. Other great beers on tap! It's a small place but always crowded and while it's not the prettiest bar, we love the casual atmosphere. Depends on what you define as good atmosphere I guess

Old 10-24-2009, 10:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,181,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimes8 View Post
My roommate and I moved to Raleigh recently and are looking to go out. We were wondering where the best place to go for a casual bar with 20-30 somethings is. Any suggestions? Beer on tap and a good atmosphere is a plus!
Try the Flying Saucer on the corner of Morgan St & Harrington St. Nobody has more beer on tap than they do. Plus, the place is VERY casual and even has a covered outdoor area.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:23 PM

915 posts, read 3,181,820 times
Jackpot for live!

Old 10-25-2009, 07:41 PM

542 posts, read 1,525,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
Jackpot for live!
Although I have spent countless nights in the Jackpot, one of those being last night, it is a special place that only a small percentage of the population can truely appreciate. For a more mainstream place that still has a good vibe, I would recommend the Raleigh Times or the Landmark and both are on Hargett St. I tend to stay far away from Glenwood South with the one exception being MoJoes Burger Joint (it's a bar too). I hope this helps.

Mike

Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
For a small bar with nice atmosphere / interesting vibe, 20-30 crowd, cool bartenders and a few nice beers on tap I recommend the Remedy Diner just off of Moore Square in DT Raleigh. I love that place!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM

91 posts, read 308,602 times
Try Slim's Downtown Distillery if you are in the heavily tattooed, black t-shirt wearing crowd like me

Old 10-26-2009, 04:54 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Forgot to add, another place we love to go is Big Boss, home of Bad Penny beer. Other great beers on tap! It's a small place but always crowded and while it's not the prettiest bar, we love the casual atmosphere. Depends on what you define as good atmosphere I guess
I second this. I was going to post this if it wasn't already in this thread, lol. It isn't always crowded, it just depends on the night and what is going on in Raleigh. I went there to pick up a growler of their Harvest Time beer for a Halloween party I was going to and it was pretty quiet. Only one table full of girls and a couple people at the bar.

Note that Big Boss is the brewing company and Horniblows is the taproom located above them. It's the same people though and there's a lot of history in that place. I remember going there when it used to be called Edenton Brewery and the bar was a relative (but still wonderfully sketch) craphole before those guys bought it and did all the renovations.

I miss the windows in the bar where you used to be able to look down into the brewery. Apparently they weren't up to fire code if one of the vats down below exploded or something so they had to be taken out.

They also do brewery tours at least once a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary