Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 06:46 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,681,539 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, as you know Raleigh Wide Open is taking place to today. So a lot of city officials and Raleigh citizens are enjoying the event. Well... I myself chose to indulge in Flying Saucer's buffet of beer tent. Let's just say I became one notch from p!$$y drunk. Anyway our mayor Charles Meeker was out and about minding his own business, walking through the event alone, when I myself the concerned Raleigh citizen bombarded him with questions about our poor highway system in the city. He was very polite still, and answered my question. I then began to ask another until he had to receive a phone call from his wife. That's when I began to feel bad for asking these questions, when he clearly just wanted to enjoy the festivities. A long story short I feel like crap for rudely asking the mayor about questions that can be answered during city council hearings. Should I feel bad, or is it OK because that's something that comes with his position? I voted for him BTW, I just feel he could be a bit more aggressive on certain issues.

PS. Mayor, If you frequent the board I apologize. I was the Black guy wearing the red polo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,123,564 times
You should feel bad. Poor mayor.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:26 PM

871 posts, read 3,022,736 times
Ah, don't worry about it. Remember, the Meeker shall inherit the Earth.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,035,387 times
I'm guessing he knew you were slightly drunk lol. Maybe watch how much you drink at public events from now on to prevent that happening again? But I wouldn't feel too bad, I'm guessing he didn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,597,653 times
I would love to ask the mayor why so much money was spent on a street that A: goes nowhere and B: was closed because it didn't work in the first place, and C: with so much money have been spent on the street why does it have a weight limit of 15 tons? 15 TONS!! That's only 30,000 lbs. Reason this is interesting is a fire engine weighs ~40,000 lbs. and the big ladder truck weighs ~80,000 lbs. I certainly hope nothing catches on fire on Fayetteville St. or else more tax dollars would be spent on repairing the street that was improperly designed in the first place! This is why the fire engine that was staged to be in yesterday's parade never got to participate in case some of y'all saw it.
By the way, this is supposed to be "hush, hush" as the city council doesn't want the public to know about this.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,166,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Hi folks, as you know Raleigh Wide Open is taking place to today. So a lot of city officials and Raleigh citizens are enjoying the event. Well... I myself chose to indulge in Flying Saucer's buffet of beer tent.
i also chose to indulge in that. i thought it would be kind of a waste because they limit you to 8 3oz tastings, but turned out nobody was counting. i had quite a nice time, and i was thinking how boston, for all its coolness, never has events like that with alcohol on the streets, and 10 bucks for all you can drink beers from all over the country.

as for meeker, that's pretty funny. i'm sure he's used to it.
as for the person who's all mad about fayetteville st, you've obviously got a chip on your shoulder about it, but it looks awesome and i'm glad they put in the time and money to make it happen. it's one of the very few things where tax money (i think from hotels/restaurants, but still) actually produced something i care about and can use.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 AM

22,727 posts, read 36,942,236 times
NYC Mayor Mke Bloomberg had a listed number and it made news a while back when he took a call at home from a citizen and tried to help her. He didn't really think it was that big a deal. He also takes the subway to work rather than a car and driver.

Public service is what it is....I doubt you were the only one who asked him a few questions. If you were thisclose to pi$$y drunk maybe you amused him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary