Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 12:23 PM

532 posts, read 2,846,488 times

Advertisements

Moles have been tunneling up my entire yard and today while turning over the soil in a planting bed (3'x3') I pulled out 27 grubs - and those were just the ones I easily spotted.

Is it too late to put the grub killer down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 2,942,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
Moles have been tunneling up my entire yard and today while turning over the soil in a planting bed (3'x3') I pulled out 27 grubs - and those were just the ones I easily spotted.

Is it too late to put the grub killer down?
It could be too late for this year. Grub activity is directly temperature related, so as it gets colder, their feeding will slow down. Several of the lawn care companies apply grub killer in late fall, so you might want to go to Lowe's or a garden center to see what they recommend.
Here's a website you can refer to: Grubs - A Small Pest that Can Devastate Your Lawn - Bayer Advanced â„¢ (http://www.bayeradvanced.com/pressrelease/grubs-a-small-pest-that-can-devastate-your.html - broken link)

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
I believe you can put down milky spore any time of year.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I believe you can put down milky spore any time of year.
Milky spores are an organic yet highly effective treatment against grubs. They can be found at some of the organic shops around or at Southern States in Louisburg. Plus one application can last as long as 15 years in the soil, so you don't have to continue reapplying every year.

Best part is, it won't kill the good bacteria and other insects in your lawn. Also consider beneficial nematodes, although those are slightly more expensive.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM

532 posts, read 2,846,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Milky spores are an organic yet highly effective treatment against grubs. They can be found at some of the organic shops around or at Southern States in Louisburg. Plus one application can last as long as 15 years in the soil, so you don't have to continue reapplying every year.

Best part is, it won't kill the good bacteria and other insects in your lawn. Also consider beneficial nematodes, although those are slightly more expensive.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about the efficacy of Milky spore.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
A word of caution - they only really are effective against japanense beetles and their grubs. Which is what 99% of people have in their yards from what I can tell. But just an FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary