Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,982,384 times

Advertisements

NoKudzu's advice is good - there are several communities off Homestead Road in northern Carrboro:

Claremont
Wexford
Lake Hogan Farms

There's one other new development that I can't remember the name of.

There are also several developments in Chapel Hill off Weaver Dairy Road, which ends at Homestead Road, such as Larkspur and others as you continue east across MLKJr Blvd. toward East Chapel Hill High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM

467 posts, read 714,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
NoKudzu's advice is good - there are several communities off Homestead Road in northern Carrboro:

Claremont
Wexford
Lake Hogan Farms

There's one other new development that I can't remember the name of.

There are also several developments in Chapel Hill off Weaver Dairy Road, which ends at Homestead Road, such as Larkspur and others as you continue east across MLKJr Blvd. toward East Chapel Hill High School.
Parkside and Northwoods are good areas off of Weaver Dairy Road, they are districted to Seawell Elementary, Smith Middle School, and Chapel High School. Lake Hogan has the most expensive houses from what I've seen going to that development. There are certain areas of Lake Hogan that are more expensive than others, Parkside/Northwoods range from 350k-500k. East Chapel Hill High School District is the actual Weaver Dairy Road, I'm talking about the extension. In the ECHHS area, houses get more expensive if you plan living off of Weaver Dairy.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:52 PM

997 posts, read 4,651,604 times
I like the East Chapel High area off Weaver Dairy. It does get a little more expensive but it is within your budget closer to the higher end. My first choice is Silver Creek. Some others are Chesley, Timberlyne, Chandler Green etc. with Chandler Green being the most affordable and next to Silver Creek which is a favorite of mine.

I like the area around Homestead and Lake Hogan Farms area next.

I could be wrong but from what I remember I thought some of Meadowmount was in Durham County??? If so, those homes wouldn't be Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,247,675 times
yes in Meadowmont houses directly across the street from each other are in different counties and school districts. Exactly why we did not buy there. So not all neighborhood kids attend the same schools. And Raskis elementary school is walking distance to many homes but since some are in Durham county, kids close by can't go there. Whose brainy idea was that???

Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,982,384 times
It's always worth keeping in mind that (a) not every property with a Chapel Hill mailing address is actually in Chapel Hill, and (b) not every property in Chapel Hill is actually in the Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools system - some parts of Chapel Hill fall into Durham or Chatham counties.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:54 AM

744 posts, read 1,265,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
yes in Meadowmont houses directly across the street from each other are in different counties and school districts. Exactly why we did not buy there. So not all neighborhood kids attend the same schools. And Raskis elementary school is walking distance to many homes but since some are in Durham county, kids close by can't go there. Whose brainy idea was that???

Well, the county line was drawn and the school was built before those homes went up. If there is any blame to be placed it should fall on the Medowmont developer.

The OP said she would like at least 1/3 of an acre. I will point out that this may not be possible with the newer neighborhoods off Homestead Rd. that others have pointed out like Claremont and Winmore. I think Wexford and Lake Hogan Farms are better bets. I second the suggestion of the neighborhoods off of Weaver Dairy Rd., east of MLK Blvd. And CH is a small town; yes, Weaver Dairy is on the north end of the city limits but it's about 4 miles from downtown CH and UNC campus. Lastly, I would suggest looking in the neighborhoods off of Whitfield Rd., although they not be quite as filled with kids as the other neightborhoods.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 AM

25 posts, read 62,931 times
Thanks for all the information. We are definitely going to check out Claremont and Winmore despite the smaller plots. It just seems like two great family oriented neighborhoods and I understand the "Green" construction was well done at both neighborhoods. They are still building in both neighborhoods so the potential for a competely new home is there but not sure we are brave enough to take that on. The plot sizes range and I understand there will be some larger plots in the next phase.

As for Lake Hogan Farms and Wexford, we thought that they were both nice looking communities. By sticking to the areas NorthWest of town would we be missing any special communities on the east side of chapel hill?

Most people are telling us we will not need to spend up to $750K for a house that's between 3000 to 3200 square feet. We do not want anything larger than 3200 square feet. After all, there's only 3 of us but we do want some space to put up relatives when they come and visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
Well, the county line was drawn and the school was built before those homes went up. If there is any blame to be placed it should fall on the Medowmont developer.

The OP said she would like at least 1/3 of an acre. I will point out that this may not be possible with the newer neighborhoods off Homestead Rd. that others have pointed out like Claremont and Winmore. I think Wexford and Lake Hogan Farms are better bets. I second the suggestion of the neighborhoods off of Weaver Dairy Rd., east of MLK Blvd. And CH is a small town; yes, Weaver Dairy is on the north end of the city limits but it's about 4 miles from downtown CH and UNC campus. Lastly, I would suggest looking in the neighborhoods off of Whitfield Rd., although they not be quite as filled with kids as the other neightborhoods.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,971 times
You should ask your Realtor about The Oaks, which is adjacent to Meadowmont. The Oaks is an older, established neighborhood, with larger homes and larger lots. Chapel Hill Country Club is hidden in the middle of the neighborhood and has a really nice pool, golf & tennis facilities, and a brand new clubhouse. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:13 AM

66 posts, read 143,808 times
I know where you should go! Check out Governors Park. It is a small community, with a pool and tennis court in the center of it. It is right off a country road, but not secluded in the least.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,799 times
Check out Silver Creek. If you like it I know someone who is selling, not on the RE market. House is only 6YRs old. Downsizing, both kids are now in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary