Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,216,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I would modify rule #2 to emphasize the seriousness of it:

2) only point it at things you intend to kill
Since the odds of killing anything are dicey with a BB gun and there's at least as much chance of just making some poor bird or other small animal suffer vs killing it, how about don't try to "hunt" with a BB gun. All kinds of targets he could use or even create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,950,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Since the odds of killing anything are dicey with a BB gun and there's at least as much chance of just making some poor bird or other small animal suffer vs killing it, how about don't try to "hunt" with a BB gun. All kinds of targets he could use or even create.
I agree - but I think the rule should apply to any type of gun. The odds with a BB gun may be small, but they are not zero. So the rule I would teach any young person learning to handle a gun of any type is just what i stated - don't point it at a person or animal unless you intend to kill. Don't take the chance, because the outcome could be devastating.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,706 times
Ha! A couple buddies of mine including VickiR's son and myself used to have "BB gun wars" growing up where we'd actually shoot at each other. We had a limit of "5 pumps" but I'm sure all of us myself including disobeyed that rule from time to time. I've been shot several times from a range of about 10' and it just stings and would slightly break the skin. I guess this is why paintball was invented.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:05 AM

770 posts, read 2,755,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I agree - but I think the rule should apply to any type of gun. The odds with a BB gun may be small, but they are not zero. So the rule I would teach any young person learning to handle a gun of any type is just what i stated - don't point it at a person or animal unless you intend to kill. Don't take the chance, because the outcome could be devastating.
Wheelsup is correct with the 4 cardinal rules of gun safety
1. treat every gun as loaded
2. Point the muzzle downrange or in a safe direction at all times
3. Be sure of your target, whats around or beyond it
4. keep your finger out of the triggerguard until your on target and ready to fire
additionally
Never point a gun at anything that you are not prepared to shoot

I'm not a hunter but am a shooter - I don't get the idea of killing any animal for pleasure - If your going to eat it all well and good, but not for fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary