Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM

114 posts, read 430,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
Now - my daughter told the caller this morning that we killed them and buried in them in the yard in order to assume their identities. I'm sure that at least got an odd look on the other end.

Thanks!

I like your daughter's style!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM

260 posts, read 547,602 times
So lucky. I started out being polite and letting them know this nicely. Just over time - and MANY calls from MANY different collection agencies, they keep calling. The reps from the collection companies can be exceedingly rude though. I've only had one thank me... and then their company called back a week later - on my CELL PHONE, which I had used to call them the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
I had this when I moved a few years ago with messages on my voicemail. I just called back the collection agency (actually 2 or 3)and told them that I was giving them a courtesy call to let them know their information was outdated. I just moved and got this number so it must be the person whio had the number before. Maybe because I called them and doing them a favor by giving them this information it worked out fine- never heard from them again.

If you get a voicenmail and know its not for you just call them back because if you don't they just think the person is ignoring them and keep calling which annoys you- the innocent person- even more.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:20 PM

51,711 posts, read 26,002,744 times
We've been getting collection agency calls for over two years for the same woman. Two years we've been telling these agencies we've never heard of her. We've asked them repeatedly to remove our number. I've reported them countless times times on the donotcall.gov. I've stated that I am recording the call and per the Fair Debt Collection Act if they call me again I will consider this harassment and pursue legal action.

Still the calls continue. At least once, sometimes two or three times a week.

Is there anything to do besides change my number?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:48 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,691,498 times
This link suggests what mjd07 did and has follow up instructions should the collections agency continue on after receiving the letter.

Is there any way to stop collection calls for someone else? - Yahoo! Answers

There is no need to go through all kinds of measures like phone recordings, changing numbers or the like.
Simply send them the following notorized letter certified mail/return receipt (you fill in the information)

DATE: ___________________
TO: ________________________________________… ________________________________________… ________________________________________… (Name & address of debt collector)

(Your name & address)

SUBJECT: Cease contact on debt regarding ___________________________ (Name of person the debt collection agency is contacting you about)

To whom it may concern:

Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, I am exercising my right to request that you cease all contact with me about debt owed to you by [name of person the collection agency is calling you about].

That person does not live at this address and cannot be reached at this phone number. If your company can prove that this debt is mine or that this person is in some way connected to this address and phone number, please send proof of that claim to me in writing, again in accordance with the provisions under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

Please also confirm to me in writing that you acknowledge this request and that your company will honor this cease action notification. If not, I will be forced to seek legal action and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission Bureau of Consumer Protection. It is also my understanding that your company has two weeks to respond to this letter.

Sincerely, ________________________

(Print name) ________________________

(Sign name)

You must sign to make this document legal and binding!
Here is the link to the FTC ito file a complaint in case they do not honor the letter

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Hope this answer is of help to you
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here is intended for informational purposes only. It is not intended nor presumed to be legal counsel or professional legal advice

Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,432,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We've been getting collection agency calls for over two years for the same woman. Two years we've been telling these agencies we've never heard of her. We've asked them repeatedly to remove our number. I've reported them countless times times on the donotcall.gov. I've stated that I am recording the call and per the Fair Debt Collection Act if they call me again I will consider this harassment and pursue legal action.

Most carriers have a call block feature on their site, or you can call CS. Android phones will have the apps to do it. If you have an iphone you can jailbreak and install the app. You can port your number to Google voice and get a new number. Forward all calls from Google voice to your phone, and use Google Voice to block the numbers you don't want.

If it were me, I think I would have fun with them. The robocalls used to bother me, now I actually enjoy when they call.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 PM

88 posts, read 190,134 times
Call ATT and put a block on the numbers as they call.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

If you have told this company to stop calling or you will pursue legal action and the company continues to call the time has come for you to take legal action. Period. If the company is calling your landline have the landline forwarded to your cell phone. When the companies calls simply record the call on your cell phone. You have to have it recorded of you telling them to stop calling. You state you've already told them and they continue to call but yet you have yet to pursue legal action so they are calling your bluff. So do it. And get paid.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,215,763 times
Wow! I thought we were the only people with this problem. We get calls all the time and they are always from different numbers,so no way to block a number or two. My DH looked up "marlin" and he has a criminal record in addition to owing a lot of money!
We are on the do not call list, and that doesnt even keep the phone solicitors away. We get so many calls-never had this problem when we added our number to the do not call list when we lived in WI. Still have time warner for phone-unsure if that makes a difference. If it werent for the kids' schools, I'd drop the land line altogether!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 AM

23 posts, read 30,868 times
Sometimes, I get phone calls for debts of people unknown to me and I have had the same phone number since 1998!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,180,102 times
I started getting calls from would be employers, wanting to set up an interview with some guy who obviously gave out the wrong number on his resume. And I had recently lost my job, and was trying to find work....really rubbed salt in the wounds! Eventually you just have to have fun with it, and tell them, "I don't want your #%$%^ job"!

I worked with a guy, and his roommate was killed in an accident. Within a month or so, bill collectors were calling. He just simply told them that he had perished in an accident, and they needed to stop calling his house. And it worked. I guess eventually the estate settled, but the calls did stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary