Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:29 PM

260 posts, read 546,221 times

Advertisements

OK - live in Raleigh... and have had our current (AT&T) phone number for 20 months. Problem is - I am STILL getting collections calls for these people. I'm really really tired of it. There are at least 2 calls a week. Supposedly, these people remove my number from their list - but they call back a few months later. Today - I called ARS collections back and told them that I wanted my number removed and that I am not that person, or his wife, and have never been them or have never known them. The idiot on the phone had the NERVE to say to me, "So, you don't want to take care of the debt for them?" UM - NO. Then he had the nerve to tell me to drop the sarcasm from my voice. Grrrrr....

In Raleigh, is there any easy way that I could find these people so that I could give their number out to the callers? I'm just SO tired of it all. Looking through the usual internet sites has yielded nothing. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:41 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,299,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
OK - live in Raleigh... and have had our current (AT&T) phone number for 20 months. Problem is - I am STILL getting collections calls for these people. I'm really really tired of it. There are at least 2 calls a week. Supposedly, these people remove my number from their list - but they call back a few months later. Today - I called ARS collections back and told them that I wanted my number removed and that I am not that person, or his wife, and have never been them or have never known them. The idiot on the phone had the NERVE to say to me, "So, you don't want to take care of the debt for them?" UM - NO. Then he had the nerve to tell me to drop the sarcasm from my voice. Grrrrr....

In Raleigh, is there any easy way that I could find these people so that I could give their number out to the callers? I'm just SO tired of it all. Looking through the usual internet sites has yielded nothing. Thanks in advance.

If the collection agency can't find the deadbeats real number I highly doubt you will.

Sorry. I suggest caller ID.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,549,163 times
do not call list , record and date the future call then contact fcc similar thread in Charlotte forum
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...own-house.html

Old 10-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
do not call list , record and date the future call then contact fcc similar thread in Charlotte forum
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...own-house.html
Thanks!

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM

As he said in the Charlotte thread, if anyone knows Veronica Zacher or W Zacher, "kick" them in the shins for me.

I honestly do believe that they are still giving out the number - and that irks me the most. (yes - I've even checked my credit report to make sure that it isn't stolen identity)

Old 10-28-2009, 04:52 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,261,264 times
Is it possible to call and have your number changed?

Vicki

Old 10-28-2009, 05:21 PM

133 posts, read 452,556 times
I can relate! I get random calls on my cell phone from people, but that doesn't bother me as much as the mail. The people who lived here before us STILL give out our address as theirs and we've lived here almost five years! Last year I came home to a policeman sitting out in front of our house one day when my kids and I got home from being out and about. He was here trying to arrest the people for writing bad checks! I just told him that they don't live here anymore, but I sure hope he finds them because I'm tired of getting their mail.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 PM

583 posts, read 2,803,825 times
When we moved we were getting the collection calls too. I ignored them with caller ID or if I was feeling nice I'd answer and tell them to take our # off the list. And then it got worse... the person had registered the phone with a victim alert phone bank w/ the prison system in NY state. The criminal started getting moved around between jails, which would trigger an auto. phone call every 2 hours for 48 hours. The only way to stop it was to enter a PIN # acknowledging that we got the message. It happened twice and we ended up unplugging the phones. Numerous calls to NY prisons, mailing certified letters stating that I was not a victim of his crime.... and it's finally stopped.

One suggestion... if it's the same places calling, tell them to not call back and keep track of time/date/phone #/name and fill out the paperwork for the Attorney General's office. They really do follow thru on the complaints. It was the only way I got Dish Network to stop calling here.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,585,373 times
Collection agencies do not care if you are not the person. They have the last known number for the person they are trying to contact and you have no way to prove that you are really not the person they are looking for. The "Do not call" list will not work in this situation. As a debt collector they are legal with their harassing phone calls.
However, the Fair Debt Collection Act will help you in this case. Under this act, it will be illegal for them to contact you after you tell them to stop.
You must follow my instructions in order for this to work.

Next time they call tell them this:
First, I must tell you that I am recording this phone call (You don't have to but if they continue to call after this then you will need to record it for proof in court.). I understand you are trying to collect a debt owed to you. However, I am not the person you are looking for and consider this harassment. Under the Fair Debt Collection Act I am requesting you remove my number from your database and not to call me ever again. If you call me anymore I will not hesitate to take legal action. Thank you.

See 806-5
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...edit/cre27.pdf

Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM

675 posts, read 1,834,059 times
We had the same problem with our landline for a while... Thing is, we only have it for emergencies and security, so if anyone is actually calling our landline and not our cellphone, we always let it go to the machine. If they don't have our cell numbers, chances are we don't want to talk to them in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary