Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times

Advertisements

Web design is one of the hottest jobs going and anyone with persistence can make a good living freelance.

Hey, I'm 50 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Don't limit your choices, don't get lazy (like so many young people do in every generation) and don't give up. One guy on C-D a few months wrote on here how jobless and depressed and suicidal he was. Still don't know if it was a hoax but there's a good example of getting steamrolled.

Talk with those who can guide you and offer you the best options.

I always ask my wife (who's in IT) what the heck would people do for work without IT? No one left to get their nails dirty. Fifty years ago, even less, what would people have done with no IT in existence?

Don't box yourself in. I wish I knew then what I know now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 06:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Default No one can predict the future

Is IT flooded? It appears that way, but who knows?

When I was at SAS years ago, the big fear was that there would be a severe shortage of IT workers in the future, and now is that future.

They are pretty smart at SAS; they were wrong.

P.S. Re eloyfan's comments: Web design? LOL. Yes, I'm making pocket change myself. But it certainly is nothing I'd recommend at this point. It's better to be a web developer with database programming skills, but anyone can get programming done cut-rate around the world, and major local companies have done just that and have moved their IT departments to where they can get it done the cheapest -- such as India. And I know (wonderful, very highly skilled) people who have lost their jobs as a result.

And you don't think that in this recession there aren't plenty of people who are depressed and suicidal? You think losing one's house and everything you've worked for (including one's beloved pets) isn't enough to push some people over the edge? Or even the possibility of that happening? What part of "this is the worst economy since the Depression" don't you understand? It's so easy to believe everything is just fine when you're not suffering yourself. Open your eyes and count your lucky stars. Economy worst since Great Depression, World Bank says - Mar. 9, 2009 and Wall St Journal article from 2008: Worst Crisis Since '30s, With No End Yet in Sight - WSJ.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtlantaTransplant View Post
Thank you for all the thoughtful replies. IT is flooded right now, and it even with current trends it seems like it will always be flooded, don't you agree?
eloyfan wrote:
Quote:
Web design is one of the hottest jobs going and anyone with persistence can make a good living freelance.
Quote:
One guy on C-D a few months wrote on here how jobless and depressed and suicidal he was. Still don't know if it was a hoax but there's a good example of getting steamrolled.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-31-2009 at 06:37 PM..

Old 10-31-2009, 07:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Find out what it is you love to do. Don't just pick a job for the higher pay or "stability". You only live once. Spend it doing what you enjoy.

Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 PM

But of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Find out what it is you love to do. Don't just pick a job for the higher pay or "stability". You only live once. Spend it doing what you enjoy.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 AM

532 posts, read 2,845,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree with North Raleigh Guy, find out what you love to do. Sometimes it's not so easy to figure this out when you are young. Taking some aptitude tests and interest inventories provided at reduced or no cost by some local educators (colleges, trade schools, etc.) could help you discover what you love to do and what you are good at. Then you could take this information and align the results with what you are learning about growing career fields that you have an interest in.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Is IT flooded? It appears that way, but who knows?

When I was at SAS years ago, the big fear was that there would be a severe shortage of IT workers in the future, and now is that future.

They are pretty smart at SAS; they were wrong.

P.S. Re eloyfan's comments: Web design? LOL. Yes, I'm making pocket change myself. But it certainly is nothing I'd recommend at this point. It's better to be a web developer with database programming skills, but anyone can get programming done cut-rate around the world, and major local companies have done just that and have moved their IT departments to where they can get it done the cheapest -- such as India. And I know (wonderful, very highly skilled) people who have lost their jobs as a result.

And you don't think that in this recession there aren't plenty of people who are depressed and suicidal? You think losing one's house and everything you've worked for (including one's beloved pets) isn't enough to push some people over the edge? Or even the possibility of that happening? What part of "this is the worst economy since the Depression" don't you understand? It's so easy to believe everything is just fine when you're not suffering yourself. Open your eyes and count your lucky stars. Economy worst since Great Depression, World Bank says - Mar. 9, 2009 and Wall St Journal article from 2008: Worst Crisis Since '30s, With No End Yet in Sight - WSJ.com

eloyfan wrote:

Yawn........How Much Money a Web Designer Makes - Salaries for Web Designers in the United States

Sorry if you know more on the subject. I surely would have preferred your column.

The guy who posted on C-D re: his miserable life was directionless and about 20. Never owned a house or lost a job. Just was giving up before he got started. His thread was taken down months ago and it may have been a crock. Some other C-D members may remember this thread. I was suggesting that the OP not follow this path of quitting. Not in the least alluding to mass hysteria and bodies dropping from tall buildings. Jeez. Please read and understand before sniping.

The military is designed to kill. It's their job. Sometimes they die. Fact of life.

And, my favorite trendy word: "whatever".......

Last edited by eloyfan; 11-01-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 11-01-2009, 09:17 PM

9 posts, read 17,756 times
Default What you enjoy

is nice if it will pay your bills.

If you enjoy electronics, data comm, etc., check out medical electronics.

Would think that is a continuing growth field

Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 AM

Default Up to date if the date is 1995

In the past three weeks, there has been ONE job for "web designer" on Careerbuilder in the Triangle area. Yes, that's one "hot" job.

And "whatever" isn't a trendy word. It's a cliche that people are sick of hearing.

I don't think the OP gave any indication he was giving up or looking for tall buildings.

As for the person suffering whose posts may now be removed...I'm supposed to know that by ESP, I guess? Hmmm. But here is an interesting related link: http://www.newsweek.com/id/179422

But we do agree on one thing re the military: "Sometimes they die. Fact of life."

There are other career choices where dying is not a possibility. (Not that I don't respect and admire members of the military. They are all heroes, just like medical personnel, firefighters, police, and teachers.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Yawn........How Much Money a Web Designer Makes - Salaries for Web Designers in the United States

Sorry if you know more on the subject. I surely would have preferred your column.

The guy who posted on C-D re: his miserable life was directionless and about 20. Never owned a house or lost a job. Just was giving up before he got started. His thread was taken down months ago and it may have been a crock. Some other C-D members may remember this thread. I was suggesting that the OP not follow this path of quitting. Not in the least alluding to mass hysteria and bodies dropping from tall buildings. Jeez. Please read and understand before sniping.

The military is designed to kill. It's their job. Sometimes they die. Fact of life.

And, my favorite trendy word: "whatever".......

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-02-2009 at 07:17 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 AM

174 posts, read 407,356 times
Don't doze into the mistake some others have made; there is a BIG difference between the Triangle's "Technical Employment Environment" and other cities tech employment environments...

Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM

I personally don't care where this thread goes as the OP has apparently wandered out of the room, I am not in hi-tech and never will be, and I was only trying in my mortal way to assist my fellow man with some free advice.

Then, of course, comes along the inevitable elbow-check which doesn't add to the flavor of helpfulness, only causes rancor.

That it's more important to be "right" than to be charitable. The classic "nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah......." thumbs in ears, fingers wagging, tongue stuck out.

Web design was named a hot job a year or two ago, maybe it's passe now but in the end it's hugely a non-issue. Like this thread. It's a waste to argue over junk like this. See ya sez me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary