Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM

6,299 posts, read 16,122,750 times

Advertisements

FWIW -- summers are usually quite oppressive here and not conducive to a lot of outside play (unless it's swimming!).

It was the biggest surprise I had when I moved here, and I find it very uncomfortable.

Many people love it. But I don't know whether or not a child with heart problems would be affected by the high heat and humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 06:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,247,675 times
look into chapel hill/carrboro- best school is the area, several indoor pools, very quaint with small town feel and while it is not cheap, you can find something in your budget. Folks around here don't seem to be too much into "keeping up with the jones" like you find in larger communities. also close to airport, and of course UNC and Duke hospitals are so very close.
Good luck- we also have special needs adopted kids!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 AM

635 posts, read 3,097,452 times
Sanford offers a lot of the small town feel with mid-sized city conveniences, but may be at the very edge of your 45 minute requirement.

If one likes the kind of town where the mayor probably knows you by name, city council members return your calls, and you feel like you can make a personal difference in the community and government, Sanford is that kind of town.

Being historically a manufacturing blue collar town, Sanford isn't as idyllic or "fancy" as some other small NC towns funded by industry such as tobacco. But Sanford has that simple and genuine small town vibe and sense of community that many do find attractive.

Sanford is still a little rough around some edges, but has been benefiting from the growth of the surrounding Raleigh/Durham/Cary, Fayetteville, and to some degree Greensboro areas. We've had a lot of slow and steady investment and every year Sanford sees noticeable improvements. And with additional investment from the BRAC program just to name one driver, along with continued regional growth, Sanford continues to grow and see investment.

Regionally Sanford benefits from being centrally located in the state, close enough to the Triangle, Fayetteville, and Greensboro all at about 30 minutes away to be convenient to those areas, but being "just far enough away" from those metros to maintain its small town feel. That's why many that work in those areas looking for a smaller town vibe commute from Sanford.

Here is a map showing Sanford's relative location:

http://www.secondcentury.org/pdfs/SC...r-HR-email.pdf

Some other information links:

City of Sanford, North Carolina | Official Government Website

Sanford Area Chamber of Commerce

Downtown Sanford, INC. | Sanford, North Carolina

Sanford Herald - News, businesses, classifieds in Sanford, NC

Good luck with your move!

Al

Old 11-05-2009, 09:08 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,982,384 times
As you can probably guess from the replies above, "45 minutes from Duke Hospital" leaves open a very wide area here - that will take you from one end of the region to the other.

You may want to consider narrowing your criteria, or using something other than distance as the primary factor.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 PM

84 posts, read 371,351 times
Fuquay Varina (to the south). Check it out! We love it! We drive my son to Duke 1 - 2 times a year to see a developmental pediatrician and it is around 45 mins.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 25,368 times
Default Mebane is a great place to raise a family

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesefam View Post
Hi all!

Hoping you can help... We currently live in the greater Phoenix,
Arizona area and we are looking to relocate.

A little about us:
We are in our early 30's, the parents of a special needs (heart
defect) daughter who is adopted. We are looking for the idyllic
"quaint" area. I grew up outside of San Francisco but went to high
school in Sheboygan, WI and my husband grew up in Jackson Hole,
Wyoming. We like the smaller communities and we're looking for a small
town feel with some amenities. I'd like a community where one can get
involved, one with good schools, a middle-class cost of living, and
very safe. My daughter will require numerous heart surgeries over the
course of her life, so we're looking at the top 25 pediatric
cardiology facilities and searching a 45 mile radius around the area.

In Arizona, kids can't do sports in the summer because of the heat. No
kids play outside, and after 5 years in my current home, I still don't
know most of my neighbors. I'd like a town where kids play outside,
the neighbors know one another, the town goes to the high school
football games.

My husband is a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and
works from home, so we're very flexible. I am a stay-at-home mother,
so being able to do things with my child is important.

I enjoy a milder climate, but I'm flexible.

I appreciate your help!
I moved here 9 years ago and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. We are a thirty minute drive to Duke and Chapel Hill hospitals. The quality of life is fantastic. Good public schools, great neighborhoods, youth sports are wonderful and affordable, and in a city of 10,000 we average 2,500 at Friday night football games. The climate is great. July and August can be hot, but nothing like what you deal with in Arizona. Check out the City of Mebane website. It will tell you more about what the city has to offer.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,703,149 times
For a "small town feel" I would look at Hillsborough, Pittsboro, Mebane, Burlington. Durham is a little bigger fell, but also a lot of great neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary