Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM

36 posts, read 86,204 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Hoping you can help... We currently live in the greater Phoenix,
Arizona area and we are looking to relocate.

A little about us:
We are in our early 30's, the parents of a special needs (heart
defect) daughter who is adopted. We are looking for the idyllic
"quaint" area. I grew up outside of San Francisco but went to high
school in Sheboygan, WI and my husband grew up in Jackson Hole,
Wyoming. We like the smaller communities and we're looking for a small
town feel with some amenities. I'd like a community where one can get
involved, one with good schools, a middle-class cost of living, and
very safe. My daughter will require numerous heart surgeries over the
course of her life, so we're looking at the top 25 pediatric
cardiology facilities and searching a 45 mile radius around the area.

In Arizona, kids can't do sports in the summer because of the heat. No
kids play outside, and after 5 years in my current home, I still don't
know most of my neighbors. I'd like a town where kids play outside,
the neighbors know one another, the town goes to the high school
football games.

My husband is a claims adjuster for a large insurance company and
works from home, so we're very flexible. I am a stay-at-home mother,
so being able to do things with my child is important.

I enjoy a milder climate, but I'm flexible.

I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
My pick would be Hillsborough.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:32 PM

289 posts, read 489,657 times
Clayton is about 55 minutes from Duke-- that's where I live. We love it here-- small town, friendly atmosphere and great neighborhood schools (The Best Schools in the Most Affordable Zip Code Codes: Rank: 10 - BusinessWeek). It also has a great mix of people who have moved here from around the country and around the world. Good luck with your search!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 30,916 times
We love north Durham! We love the Treyburn area, and housing prices are coming down. Check out Little River Elementary, and a new middle school is being built. We are 25 minutes from Duke (where my dh works). We know everyone in our neighborhood, lots of parties, everyone knows everyone. Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2009, 05:25 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
I would pick wake forest, the west side of town, it is a clear shot to duke down 98, and takes about 30 minutes, maybe 35 with parking. It definitely has a quiet feel, but is also close to shopping, etc. I have lived in wake forest for over 4 years and really love it!

Depending on what you are looking for, you can find a home in a large subdivision, or a home not in a subdivision. Most houses in this part of wake forest are on about an acre (my neighborhood is on a community well which is maintained by the utility department) and we have individual septic.

There are lots of great neighborhoods in various price ranges in this part of wake forest..............

Good luck

Leigh

Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
I agree with the Hillsborough or North Durham suggestions. If you're looking for neighborhoods with a pool I would check out Treyburn, Black Horse Run, and Hardscrabble. Hardscrabble is a Hillsborough address in Durham County. Northern High was THE football team when I went there and everyone went to the games. I've heard they aren't as great as they once were, but I am sure lots of people still support them. In Hillsborough there is a newer neighborhood, Churton Grove. It is nice since they left up all the trees and lots are half an acre to an acre. There is a small shopping center within walking distance and quiant historic downtown Hillsborough within biking distance. All these neighborhoods are within 15-25 minutes to Duke. Even more affordable is Mebane in Alamance County which is about a 20-25 minute commute to Duke. Cute dowtown too. These are all close knit communities and very worth checking out. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:40 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
Hillsborough (our family may have a gorgeous 4BR house on 4 acres for rent within the next month there if you are interested, let me know - it's in a private subdivision and the neighbors all help each other). This is my parent's house and they commuted to Duke Hospital all the time and several of the neighbors are professionals at Duke Hospital. Also Pittsboro is nice. It's less than 30 miles from Duke.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:49 AM

744 posts, read 1,263,078 times
Why stray? There are some very nice, reasonably priced homes in quaint neighborhoods very close to Duke Children's Hospital. Try the nighborhoods off of Pickett Rd., Cornwallis Rd., and Academy Dr./751.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,841 times
We live in Clayton, and our daughter is seen at Duke periodically. We absolutely love living in Clayton. The schools are fabulous, small town feel but easy access to city amenities!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
We go to Duke Quarterly for my daughter, and live in Lee County (towards Sanford). I would not necessarily recommend Sanford, but you might look into places like Apex, or Holly Springs. (South and East of Duke). Apex especially has a lot of what you asked for, including a nice dowtown, with up and coming restaurants, good neighborhoods, close proximity to everything, and numerous places for outdoor activities including nice parks, walking and cycling trails, and a DT shopping district that is good on foot, with several festivals and events during the year (parades, live music, craft festivals, etc.)

I would also look at Pittsboro, Chapel Hill/Carboro.

And finally, if you are able to visit here, check them all out yourself, as we all know that what appeals to one, may not appeal to another.

Good luck with your quest, and especially with your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary