Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 11:39 AM

9 posts, read 27,708 times

Advertisements

Hi, Does anyone know of any good bowling leagues inthe area for decent bowlers? I haven't bowled in over a year but I was carrying a 210 average so I am thinking I can definitely do 190 now.

I heard down here in the RDU area that some bowling alleys don't allow alcohol. Not looking for leagues in any of those places. Other than that I am open to suggestions.

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toine910 View Post
Hi, Does anyone know of any good bowling leagues inthe area for decent bowlers? I haven't bowled in over a year but I was carrying a 210 average so I am thinking I can definitely do 190 now.

I heard down here in the RDU area that some bowling alleys don't allow alcohol. Not looking for leagues in any of those places. Other than that I am open to suggestions.
First of all, we don't say "The RTP", it's just "RTP". But that refers to Research Triangle Park, an industrial/research area, NOT the region as a whole. I think you meant to ask about bowling leagues in "The Triangle".

To answer your question--every bowling alley I'm aware of has leagues every weeknight. Many are probably company-oriented and you wouldn't want to join as an outsider, but the bowling alleys will know exactly which leagues are open to new people and when they meet. You don't say where you are located, but I'd start with the closest one to where you live, call them, and just ask. They all have leagues every night, but only they can tell you the character of the leagues, as to whether you would care to join which one.

Last edited by Francois; 11-04-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
To answer your question--every bowling alley I'm aware of has leagues every weeknight. Many are probably company-oriented and you wouldn't want to join as an outsider, but the bowling alleys will know exactly which leagues are open to new people and when they meet. You don't say where you are located, but I'd start with the closest one to where you live, call them, and just ask. They all have leagues every night, but only they can tell you the character of the leagues, as to whether you would care to join which one.
Chapel Hill, of course, has to be different. Mardi Gras Bowling on NC54 has leagues only 1 or 2 nights a week. It tends to cater more to family bowlers. So I agree - call around and check websites to find out what's available where.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM

Sorry I meant "the RDU area" and "the RTP area." I was fast typing and omitted the same word twice. I live in Durham so Chapel Hill and Durham are logical areas. I was hoping someone would chime in with a league they knew had openings but I will call around and see what I can find out.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toine910 View Post
Sorry I meant "the RDU area" and "the RTP area." I was fast typing and omitted the same word twice. I live in Durham so Chapel Hill and Durham are logical areas. I was hoping someone would chime in with a league they knew had openings but I will call around and see what I can find out.
I just realized that I didn't answer your question about alcohol--believe me, that is NOT a problem!! Beer flows freely in every bowling league I've seen!

As far as "who has openings?", I was in a league for 7 years, Secretary for 3, and at any given time, there was almost constantly a team with a vacancy, or at very least a team needing a sub for the week. I still say calling is best, so you can find out the "character" potential leagues you'd fit into, but usually you can just show up and ask for the league Secretary, who can tell you if they need a sub that week, and often they have "permanent subs" who bowl with whatever team needs it that week, and then when an opening comes up, you'd already know the league and the folks in it to some degree (or you might decide it's not the league for you). As far as your average, I'm sure there are some really competitive leagues where many avg around 200, but usually there is a full range of averages from 110 to 210 or therabouts. Most bowling leagues here are just for recreation, not hard-core competitive, but again, I think there ARE some that are competitive if that is your wish.

I know more about the Raleigh situation, but there's a bowling alley in Chapel Hill on 54 right off 40, and there at least used to be one on 15-501 near 85 in Durham.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:19 AM

Thank you. I will call around and see what's available.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:25 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,632 times
Village Lanes in Durham is ok. I bowled in a league there last year. They also sell beer. I would call them and see if they have anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary