Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,120,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The saddest part is that NC used to be known "far and wide" for our beautiful roadside wildflowers, thanks to a former First Lady who made that her pet cause. People would even write in letters to the editor saying things like "I visited NC from [somewhere] and was astounded by the beauty of the highways, thanks to the wildflowers! It really stands out over other states". Now, apparently, garbage has replaced flowers as what people most remember this state for.
Is this the same first lady that got paid six digits for a NCSU postion that should be making half that, and also had a secretary to do the work for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM

6,299 posts, read 16,124,426 times
Heck no. Lady Bird Johnson (President Lyndon Baines Johnson's wife) was the one responsible for wildflowers along the nation's highways.

Before your time, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmboyinNC View Post
Is this the same first lady that got paid six digits for a NCSU postion that should be making half that, and also had a secretary to do the work for her?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 PM

7,179 posts, read 4,773,280 times
eTownhall

Contact the Governor. She is so proud of our state, she says. Well, how does she feel when she sees the litter between Knightdale and the airport, along 540. It's disgusting.
best,
toodie

Old 12-23-2009, 05:59 AM

I found an entire website dedicated to explaining how to campaign for a bottle bill in one's state.

It also includes a list of all the humongous multinational companies that fight hard against them.

Count "big business" as one more factor in the continued trashing of NC roads.

It's very sad that those businesses spend kabillions in marketing to make sure we all think they're wonderful companies with wonderful products, when the reality is that they'll fight tooth and nail against private citizens trying to push a bottle bill that would greatly reduce litter on the roads.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:10 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,228,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I have never seen so much litter in my life.The center median looks like a landfill.Very sad.
That's impossible. Everyone keeps telling me how "clean" NC is.

Yes it is very bad, and not just 540.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:15 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,228,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Perhaps there should be much higher fines and greater enforcement for littering, especially for people driving pickups full of junk that flies everywhere. Virginia is known for its high fines for speeding. I'd like NC to be known for outrageous fines for littering.
Amen. Unfortunately, I doubt it will happen. Most people simply don't care enough to make it an issue, and the thoughtless losers who toss their cig butts and other trash anywhere and everywhere are seemingly breeding like cockroaches. The ghettoification of America continues - isn't it great?

Old 12-23-2009, 06:27 AM

Upon further research, I found that bottle bills have been introduced in NC:

Senator Doug Berger, sponsor of the 2007 North Carolina bottle bill, has introduced one again in the Litter Reduction Act of 2009.

BottleBill.org - The North Carolina Campaign

In March it was referred to the Committee on Commerce. I guess it died there. The committee probably has members supported by BIG BUSINESS. (I don't know this for sure.)

Who knew there WAS a Litter Act of 2009?

Sounds like it's an issue that needs to be jumpstarted and more attention brought to it -- along with more pressure on our legislators to pass it.

I emailed the legislator and asked for an update and asked what we (citizens) could do to help.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,318,912 times
Recycling incentives may be good for other reasons, but they won't get rid of the roadside trash. In California we got 5 cents for small containers and 10 cents for larger ones, but the trash was still unbelievable.

When cleaning the highway we found a lot of plastic bags, styrofoam and other packing material, cardboard, tire pieces, fast food trash, papers (school papers, receipts, delivery slips, bills), and clothing. We also found many bottles and cans that we could recycle (which we did!).

There was no time to bother with the cigarette butts.

We picked up cans and bottles at other times, too, and considered the money our entertainment budget (baseball and hockey games, hiking trips, etc.). One year we made about $1500. (The point of that is - a nickel or dime deposit does not keep people from throwing cans on the ground.)

Old 12-23-2009, 07:10 AM

People are more likely to pick up the cans if they can get a refund.

California is next door to a country where littering is more socially acceptable than it is here, so it would make sense they would have a bigger problem.

With a bottle bill AND greatly increased fines for littering in NC, the amount of trash here would be greatly reduced.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-23-2009 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-23-2009, 07:19 AM

809 posts, read 2,192,432 times
When Hunt was governor, our roads were beautiful. I had clients who drove in from states north, south and west of us and they ALWAYS commented on how clean our highways and other roads were.

Love him or hate him (RIP) he deplored litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary