Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

RIP? He's not dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
When Hunt was governor, our roads were beautiful. I had clients who drove in from states north, south and west of us and they ALWAYS commented on how clean our highways and other roads were.

Love him or hate him (RIP) he deplored litter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
eTownhall

Contact the Governor. She is so proud of our state, she says. Well, how does she feel when she sees the litter between Knightdale and the airport, along 540. It's disgusting.
best,
toodie
I will write again,my first letter fell on deaf ears.Not so much as your standard letter write back.The other thing that amazes me was the audacity of the Easley administration for years,than we turn around and hire his Lt. Gov.Didn't we have enough?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:43 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Perhaps there should be much higher fines and greater enforcement for littering, especially for people driving pickups full of junk that flies everywhere. Virginia is known for its high fines for speeding. I'd like NC to be known for outrageous fines for littering.
The Wake county sheriff advertised that they will follow up on complaints. (919)856-5700. I have them on speed dial.
A lot of the litter along interstates has fallen from trash transport trucks.

Last edited by Crashj007; 12-23-2009 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: phone number

Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Current NC law:
For littering up to 15 pounds:
-minimum fine, $250, max. $1000
-the court may require 8 to 24 hours of community service, preferably picking up litter

Second offense within three years:
-minimum fine, $500, max. $2000
-court may require 16 to 50 hours community service

If trash comes from a vehicle, the driver is considered the litterer.
Littering can be either intentional or unintentional.

NCGA General Statutes - GS § 14-399. Littering

It looks like the laws are there.

So are laws about speeding, and laws about using turn signals. Why aren't they working?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The Wake county sheriff advertised that they will follow up on complaints. (919)856-5700. I have them on speed dial.
A lot of the litter along interstates has fallen from trash transport trucks.
Excellent info,enforcement is key.You could have the highest fines in the country,but without enforcement it's useless.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Excellent info,enforcement is key.You could have the highest fines in the country,but without enforcement it's useless.
When I used to commute from Raleigh to Durham on I-40, I lost count of the times I saw trash flying off trucks, and parts of cars and trucks breaking off and flying backwards into cars behind them. Some of the debris would hit cars (mine included), or get stuck under a car causing the driver to pull over and remove it.

When they started requiring trucks to have the covers over their load on dump trucks, or rigs, it helped some. But some overfilled them and the stuff flew out the sides of the cover.

I hated to see a driver open their window and throw stuff out, they didn't get that it could hit the car behind them. I once saw a driver throw out a lit cigarette and it hit my windshield and bounced onto my drivers window which was down a couple of inches, it almost came into my car. I don't get why ppl who smoke throw out their cigs..keep em in your car, we don't want to see the cig butts everywhere, they last forever! I think they have a half-life of 10yrs

Also, on the beltline you will see dump and pick up trucks losing their junk off the back. Many are trash trucks. You can follow the route to any dump by looking for the trash the trucks have lost.

Having lived here for many yrs, what seems different now that might be contributing to the problem is real basic - more ppl moving/living here therefore more trash being hauled, dumped, and less (prison) road crews out.

It is out of control, disgusting and an embarrassment to our City/State. Maybe we should collect as much junk as possible and deliver 1/2 to the mayor and the rest to the Govr to get their attention

Old 12-23-2009, 09:32 AM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
RIP? He's not dead.
Awwwww geez, I knew that.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
$250 is nothing.

I'd like to see a minimum $2,000 for any litter from a commercial vehicle and $500 from a private vehicle for a first offense.

And have a marketing campaign to spread the news and ensure law officers receive training that reflects the importance and benefits of enforcement.

I often saw unmarked dump trucks with garbage flying out of them. I could find no license tag, no name, no phone number-- nothing. I'd also add another fine of $5,000 for driving unmarked vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Current NC law:
For littering up to 15 pounds:
-minimum fine, $250, max. $1000
-the court may require 8 to 24 hours of community service, preferably picking up litter

Second offense within three years:
-minimum fine, $500, max. $2000
-court may require 16 to 50 hours community service

If trash comes from a vehicle, the driver is considered the litterer.
Littering can be either intentional or unintentional.

NCGA General Statutes - GS § 14-399. Littering

It looks like the laws are there.

So are laws about speeding, and laws about using turn signals. Why aren't they working?

Old 12-23-2009, 04:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
I drove from Raleigh to Durham today and noticed a huge difference compared to Raleigh, with way less trash on the Durham freeway from I-40 to downtown Durham. There was more around the downtown exit but other than that, it was pretty pristine from 40.

And, this is a first, there is a big billboard on the right side of the rd nr Fayetteville St exit (d/twn) that asks ppl not to trash and give a # to call and report it.

Looks to me like Durham is kicking Raleigh's butt!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:07 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I think the inmate litter pickups were part of some budget cuts a couple years ago, but I thought they started back up. I guess I'm not so mad at the government but the people of NC that they can't keep their own junk.

I'm sure it's mostly people on the job in work vehicles that have no concerns littering while on the clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary