Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times

Advertisements

Does that include materials? We paid $200 to pull signal cable and add an AC outlet on our new project but I supplied the cables and TV mounting bracket. If you go that route, monoprice.com offers a great selection of keystones, HDMI cables, VESA HDTV mounts, etc.
The $200 was incremental to an existing project so I would expect another $50 or so for a standalone quote.
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:05 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,992,368 times
I see that Geek Squad will do it for $300-400 depending on TV size, including the wall mount. I just found an ad on Craigslist for a guy who says he will provide the same service for $90 - claims to be the same guy that stores hire to do it for you at $350.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:53 AM

32 posts, read 209,032 times
I just got an estimate from the Geek Squad to hang my 46" tv. The estimate was for $2017 to hang the tv (over the fireplace), run the hdmi cables thru the wall, under the crawl space to a closet (about 20 feet) and, set up an ir repeater. I think the price is high. Any thoughts on the price and who I could contact for a second, third...estimate?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:23 PM

299 posts, read 635,141 times
Try Carlos Ortega 919-232-1961. I found him on Craigslist a couple months ago. He used to work for one of the larger companies that did this until he branched out on his own. Did a great job with 3 of my televisions. One of them was hung on the wall with my bracket, electric and cable moved, also had to crawl under the house, total cost $175.

$2017 ??? Does that include the TV? They are nuts. I checked out the references from the above and they were all very positive. I've passed his name and number onto others who have also been happy with his work. I think his prices may be even lower at this time but am not positive. Either way, he was the least expensive I found and did a great job. All wires were hidden, everything in working order and he will take the time to make sure you know how to use all of your equipment if you have anything done that is not understood at the time. He also does surround sound which he's coming back for in a few months.

If you need a wallmount or any HDMI cables, check out Monoprice for great prices. My swing arm cable for the 32" was less than $40. All of their prices are at least 50 to 75% less than you'd pay at any store in the area. If you need more info about where to find them, let me know as I don't think we're allowed to post actual websites although I may be mistaken.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
+1 for Monoprice.com for all your cables, mounts and AV needs. They do charge shipping so try to get everything at once if you can so you only have to pay for shipping one time. That said, they have the best prices and most of the independent media installers get their stuff from Monoprice and then mark it up! go direct!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 PM

32 posts, read 209,032 times
I agree about the price, it blew me away.The price from BB was just for the install, labor and parts. I bought the TV separately. Thanks for the reference.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
Try Carlos Ortega 919-232-1961. I found him on Craigslist a couple months ago. He used to work for one of the larger companies that did this until he branched out on his own. Did a great job with 3 of my televisions. One of them was hung on the wall with my bracket, electric and cable moved, also had to crawl under the house, total cost $175.
Does you know if Carlos has help or does he work alone? I have a very large plasma being delivered soon and I'm considering mounting it. This is 100% a two man job.

I would normally be leery of using labor this way, but I'm kinda irritated right now calling other installers. I'm trying to give the "pros" a chance but I've gotten the "we don't want to mess with anyone else's stuff" from the first two. One was flippant about it as well. How dare I buy a TV from someone else... now I can understand their view to a certain point, but I saved $1k buying through my employer's purchase program and no one in their right mind would pass that deal up. I think that makes it even more evident that some of these shops are just contracting out the labor randomly and taking a very small overhead on it. Otherwise they'd be happy to take the $500-$800 I have been quoted so far.

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM

299 posts, read 635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Does you know if Carlos has help or does he work alone? I have a very large plasma being delivered soon and I'm considering mounting it. This is 100% a two man job.

I would normally be leery of using labor this way, but I'm kinda irritated right now calling other installers. I'm trying to give the "pros" a chance but I've gotten the "we don't want to mess with anyone else's stuff" from the first two. One was flippant about it as well. How dare I buy a TV from someone else... now I can understand their view to a certain point, but I saved $1k buying through my employer's purchase program and no one in their right mind would pass that deal up. I think that makes it even more evident that some of these shops are just contracting out the labor randomly and taking a very small overhead on it. Otherwise they'd be happy to take the $500-$800 I have been quoted so far.

Thanks for the info!
I don't know if he has anyone who works with him but I'm sure he would be able to help you. I know you won't be paying anywhere near what these other outfits want. I'd call him and give him the specifics and hear what he has to say. I know he used to work for a larger company so if the job required two people, he'd more than likely have someone who could help him.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 56,662 times
Quote:
I don't know if he has anyone who works with him but I'm sure he would be able to help you. I know you won't be paying anywhere near what these other outfits want. I'd call him and give him the specifics and hear what he has to say. I know he used to work for a larger company so if the job required two people, he'd more than likely have someone who could help him.

Can you post up some pictures of his work? I am trying to find someone now foe a new home I bought in Morrisville and I am getting some really big quotes. I would like to give him a chance. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,552 times
Quote:
Thanks again for the response. My TV is on back order and not shipping until mid to late Feb. so I am canceling it and waiting for the new 3D models due this Spring. That gives me a little more time to plan out if I want to put a stand under the mounted display or try and hide the components and run the wire to another room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary