Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 01:46 AM

1 posts, read 941 times

Advertisements

Hi there...

I'm seriously considering relocating to Raleigh, hopefully to further pursue my education. I'm heavily involved in the local music scene here and I'd like to keep that going if I were to move. I heard Raleigh was a good place to look at, and I was thinking of going to UNC in a year or two if things worked out accordingly.

I live in Annapolis, a small but very bustling town, and I came from Baltimore before that, which is a decent-sized city. There has always been something to do, and there are a good amount of students and kids around, and I appreciate that atmosphere.

Is there any neighborhood in my vein? Young-adult friendly (cheap, not too loud, not too...adult), open to music, quirky little shops close by? Perhaps an art/music district?

Thanks!
-m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 AM

171 posts, read 430,057 times
There are a couple local music scenes doing well. Chapel Hill/Carrboro comes to mind the most. It's small, and somewhat insular, but if you manage to be in one band in Carrboro, you'll probably be in 8. Although, it's definitely on the more expensive end for around here. While not entirely true, I associate CH/C with "indie rock" more than other genres. Lots of music venues.

Durham tends to be the more affordable, depending on the area. In fact, it's so cheap so some spots, that musicians actually own their house! Obviously, there are reasons for this, but if you consider yourself an urban pioneer, check out Cleveland Holloway. There are a handful of musicians I can think of that live there.

Tons of students live in West Raleigh, around and south of NC State. It's a great area for students, and I'm sure plenty of them are in bands. Downtown Raleigh has a lot of music venues as well, plenty of reasonably priced housing options for rentals around DT.

NC State's college radio station is a great place to learn about the music scene here. Listen to the "local lunch" from 12-1.

If you're visiting, check out some the venues where local bands are playing and ask around, couldn't hurt.

Last edited by imtheone81; 11-04-2009 at 05:37 AM..

Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Carrboro/Chapel Hill's music scene was "on the map" for awhile in the 1990s, almost rivaling Seattle. Remember the Squirrel Nut Zippers? Hometown folks gone big.

In Raleigh, you'd want to be near downtown and NC State University, for sure. A lot of musicians hang out at Sadlack's sub (sandwich) shop, right across from the Bell Tower. Go in at lunch sometime and stricke up a conversation; they'll tell you where the "scene" is at the moment.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 AM

29 posts, read 142,070 times
lol squirrel nut zippers. i remember that song they had....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary