Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 01:19 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times

Advertisements

Brier Creek opened their plastic ice rink last weekend... looks interesting, but I said that about chocolate covered bacon too
Anyone try it?
Some of the other local shopping centers will have them too.

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:08 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,711 times
I went with some friends (we're 24) because we love ice skating, but we were sorely disappointed. It was SMALL! For $2 we would have given it a whirl, but not for $6 or $7. I guess I set my standards too high, but it was little and just under a tent. I was probably thinking too Rockefeller . Now for kids, it's probably fun, but adults would cross the rink in about two swipes of the skate! I heard a rumor that one is coming to the new city plaza downtown.... anyone know if that is true? I know one is also coming to North Hills, but I expect that to be the same as the Brier Creek one so I won't waste my time. Hoping (if the rumor is correct) that the downtown one will be larger and cuter.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,762 times
Raleigh On Ice

http://www.godowntownraleigh.com/ral...fest/index.htm

Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I went with some friends (we're 24) because we love ice skating, but we were sorely disappointed. It was SMALL! For $2 we would have given it a whirl, but not for $6 or $7. I guess I set my standards too high, but it was little and just under a tent. I was probably thinking too Rockefeller . Now for kids, it's probably fun, but adults would cross the rink in about two swipes of the skate! I heard a rumor that one is coming to the new city plaza downtown.... anyone know if that is true? I know one is also coming to North Hills, but I expect that to be the same as the Brier Creek one so I won't waste my time. Hoping (if the rumor is correct) that the downtown one will be larger and cuter.
According to the website posted by stantheman78, the ice rink that will be in City Plaza downtown will have "natural ice".

They also had this tidbit on their FAQ page:

"The rink size is 45’ x 85’. The maximum rink capacity is 140 skaters."

I don't know how big the Raleigh on Ice rinks are at Brier Creek and North Hills, so I can't make that comparison. And the website didn't mention anything about relative cuteness, either.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:57 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
The rinks at North Hills and Brier Creek are a little smaller than the one downtown. Also, the artificial ice SUCKS. How do I know? Check out the user name!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:19 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Thanks for the feedback ... looks like I'm getting my arm twisted to give it a try this weekend.

Maybe it will hurt less when I fall

Frank

Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,645,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
The rinks at North Hills and Brier Creek are a little smaller than the one downtown. Also, the artificial ice SUCKS. How do I know? Check out the user name!
I've never skated on artificial ice, but have seen others doing so and it didn't look very fun. The whole science of ice skating really doesn't translate over well to plastic!

There's nothing quite like skating on a fresh rink right after the zamboni does its thing.

I will definitely be checking out the rink downtown. I haven't skated in about 13 or 14 years, so it should be quite interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary