Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM

55 posts, read 148,451 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been discussed here or not, but thought I would give everyone a heads-up. Police officers in Wake County are now using LIDAR (laser) guns for catching speeders. Today on I-40 around noon, in the Cary/Morrisville/RDU exit areas, there was a HUGE speedtrap setup, and their primary speed measurement was done using the laser guns. My radar detector got a few hits of K and Ka band radar, but by and large they were all using laser guns.

If you have a radar detector, it is useless against a laser gun. Even if your radar detector also detects laser, by the time it goes off they already know how fast you are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Interesting. Read about the experience with LIDAR in Chicago:

Speeding tickets: Use of laser guns in Chicago to catch speeders is questioned -- chicagotribune.com

Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM

871 posts, read 3,017,835 times
As long as I am allowed my 9 over, I hope LE uses every tool in their toolbox. The idiots doing 80 or driving recklessly in other manners need to be eliminated. I hope they will take that technology a step further and air it out on 55, US 1 and Aviation Pkwy, for example. Part of the success of effective LE is the surprize factor.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Well, the one advantage of them using lasers is that laser jammers are still legal.

Radar jammers are not legal, but the detectors work ok.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 PM

55 posts, read 148,451 times
Yes, jammers are legal....which is why I have one Most people aren't going to invest in those, however. For anyone that wants more information on jammers they can PM me.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:09 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times
Laser jammer FTW. Also, simply going past the limit set by the clueless, ignorant lawmakers doesn't make one reckless. It may be illegal, but its not the only factor that means you are or are not being reckless. The vehicle, tires, brakes, conditions, road surface, driving experience, and much more all come into play when determining whether someone is being reckless or not. Speed by itself does not kill and cause accidents. There are other factors, as has been proven time and time again.

LIDAR - ugh...

Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,557,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mteele View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed here or not, but thought I would give everyone a heads-up. Police officers in Wake County are now using LIDAR (laser) guns for catching speeders. Today on I-40 around noon, in the Cary/Morrisville/RDU exit areas, there was a HUGE speedtrap setup, and their primary speed measurement was done using the laser guns. My radar detector got a few hits of K and Ka band radar, but by and large they were all using laser guns.

If you have a radar detector, it is useless against a laser gun. Even if your radar detector also detects laser, by the time it goes off they already know how fast you are going.
I didn't even know there WEREN"T using LIDAR here yet. It's been in use for years in other places. The fact that radar detectors are legal here is stupid anyway. I guess coming from Virginia it just seems weird to me. I would never buy one or use them, because they are essentially useless against an officer that knows what they are doing.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I didn't even know there WEREN"T using LIDAR here yet. It's been in use for years in other places. The fact that radar detectors are legal here is stupid anyway. I guess coming from Virginia it just seems weird to me. I would never buy one or use them, because they are essentially useless against an officer that knows what they are doing.
Spoken like one who has not been saved by a radar detector. They are most certainly NOT useless. They are very effective except against LIDAR.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:24 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
I've read studies (sorry, no links) that show the higher the speed, the safer people tend to drive (to an extent). Also something about roads that are full of curves also are safer vs. ones that are just straight ahead, as it forces people to concentrate more. Something to think about.

That being said, as citizens we are obligated to operate under our current laws. It's a speed limit, not a speed suggestion. I really don't care if people speed but I would hope cops pop as many people as they can, as it means lower taxes for me .

Old 11-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've read studies (sorry, no links) that show the higher the speed, the safer people tend to drive (to an extent). Also something about roads that are full of curves also are safer vs. ones that are just straight ahead, as it forces people to concentrate more. Something to think about.

That being said, as citizens we are obligated to operate under our current laws. It's a speed limit, not a speed suggestion. I really don't care if people speed but I would hope cops pop as many people as they can, as it means lower taxes for me .
I think anti-speeders have been waiting years for death rates in Germany (Autobahn related) to rise so they could point and say "See! Speed kills." But it just doesn't. There are many, many other factors, most of which are MORE IMPORTANT than speed, that make the difference. Facts are facts.

Regarding your taxes being lower if more people are caught speeding, sorry, not true. The government is highly inefficient. You think they'll ever lower our taxes because they had a few good years of speeding ticket revenue? Heck no - they'll waste/spend/lose it as they always do. They are only popping extra people because funds are low and they need even more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary