Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:49 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times

Advertisements

Is this a common thing here? I have never heard of such a thing.

The property manager seems to think it's only a couple of hundred dollars. I was on Stanley Steamer's website and used their calculator to estimate a cost and it was over $500. 3800 sq. ft. The main floor has 1 office with carpet and the entire 2nd floor with the exception of the 3 bathrooms has carpet along with the stairs.

It seems excessive to me, but wanted to get some feedback from you guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,788 times
when we first moved here this was part of our lease agreement. It cost 200 bucks when we moved out for a 3300 sq ft house. We have rented in london in the past and it was standard there. Don't think its a big deal

Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,345,040 times
I've never had to do it. I believe it is the landlord's responsibility, unless it is in your lease.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,713 times
my 1st apt (in wi) we had to but the places i have lived in since, the landlords/apt complexes have done it

Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
I haven't heard of that - for that kind of money you're better off buying one yourself and doing it, will they let you? I bought a Hoover SteamVac for less than $300 (I have a dog) and that thing is great. Your place is much larger than mine so it wouldn't be fun, but it would be less expensive.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:32 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I haven't heard of that - for that kind of money you're better off buying one yourself and doing it, will they let you? I bought a Hoover SteamVac for less than $300 (I have a dog) and that thing is great. Your place is much larger than mine so it wouldn't be fun, but it would be less expensive.
It has to be professionally done. We have to show a receipt as proof. Waiting on the property manager to get us a quote on how much it would cost before we sign a lease.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,268,389 times
How long have you been living at the place? If more than 2 years, any respectable landlord should be prepared to simply replace the carpet when you move out. I know our landlord allows carpet to stay a maximum of five years, less if heavily worn between tenants. We even get professional cleaning as a renewal gift when signing a new lease!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,309,850 times
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I've lived in multiple apartments (most of them in Houston, but one here as well), and I've never heard of such a practice. Every landlord I've previously had not only provided free carpet cleaning upon lease renewal, they never required that I clean the carpets upon leaving. They had a cleaning crew that would make apartments ready for move-in for new tenants, and they would do the cleaning. If a tenant left an apartment particularly dirty when moving out, the landlord would deduct the cost of cleaning from the deposit.

It's one thing to require you to leave the apartment clean. It wouldn't even be quite as bad to insist that you clean the carpet yourself, either by renting a machine or using your own. But to require that it be done by a professional, and that you provide a receipt? Dealbreaker for me. It speaks volumes about the landlord, and I can only imagine how responsive they would be to any necessary repairs to the place.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,623,842 times
Seems unreasonable to me.. wouldn't carpet cleaning be an operating cost of having rental properties? I could see if you had pets - of course, according to another thread here you might get hit with the cost of replacing all the carpet if you did have pets!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 AM

450 posts, read 1,554,340 times
I don't know why people think it's unreasonable. A landlord can put any language he wants into a lease. If the renting party doesn't like the terms then they just don't sign and move on with their lives.

What would be unreasonable is if the landlord stuck the tenant with the bill for carpet cleaning after he/she moves out if the language wasn't in the lease agreement.

In Virginia, where I rented most recently, there is a state law that requires carpets to be professionaly cleaned before a tenant can move in. In that case, the landlord is required to pay it out of pocket and rent is thus increased each month to cover the cleaning.

I would suggest the OP put $25 a month away in a savings account each month (or $13 each paycheck if paid every two weeks). That should save just enough to cover the bill if he moves out after one year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary