Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 8,578 times

Advertisements

What is the best market for jobs in Raleigh and the surrounding areas, beside health care? What is the worst? Are teaching jobs plentiful? If i was moving there tomorrow what job would i be best to apply for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,112,636 times
Re teaching -- there were many layoffs last year in the Wake County school system, and this year, there will be a $20 million budget cut. Of course, there are always exceptions, but the school system does not offer the opportunities it once did. I don't know about outlying areas.

I have no idea if there are any other categories of jobs, such as healthcare, that are hiring more than others. They all seem stagnant.

You can always go to Indeed.com and sign up for job alerts, using different job titles. That will give you some idea of what's what.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 8,578 times
Your so helpful! LOL I have been looking on indeed, and on Craigslist. There are jobs for my husband since i'm a homeschooling mom of 3. The thing is competition. I thought that being from NYC would be helpful, but apparently everyone from around there is from ny now! LOL SOOO there goes that! when I visited apex, everyone I met was from NY and the only native I met was working on the hotel I stayed in....even the check in girl was from NY! LOL

Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM

There used to be a ridiculous myth that companies in the South liked to hire people from the North because they were better workers. I first heard that about 30 years ago (when I was in the North, and friends were moving South.)

It was a ridiculous myth. And you're right, there are LOTS of transplants here -- from all over. LOTS!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,439,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There used to be a ridiculous myth that companies in the South liked to hire people from the North because they were better workers. I first heard that about 30 years ago (when I was in the North, and friends were moving South.)

It was a ridiculous myth. And you're right, there are LOTS of transplants here -- from all over. LOTS!
Yeah, where did that absurd myth originate from? We heard the same thing, but only 2 years ago, just prior to our move. Pure tripe!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 PM

I think it was most likely started by recruiters who would say anything to get Northerners to move South. It made Northerners feel special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Yeah, where did that absurd myth originate from? We heard the same thing, but only 2 years ago, just prior to our move. Pure tripe!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,856,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggynsuse View Post
What is the best market for jobs in Raleigh and the surrounding areas, beside health care? What is the worst? Are teaching jobs plentiful? If i was moving there tomorrow what job would i be best to apply for?
Um, the jobs you are qualified for?? So what would those be?

To learn about teaching jobs, check here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary