Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM

24 posts, read 42,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3grls View Post
Also...if you are planning on putting your children in public school, western Johnston County is a great place to be, especially for the next couple of years as Wake tries to straighten itself out.
What happened to Wake? Budget shortfall? Or somthing else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

171 posts, read 430,287 times
Lots of controversy in Wake County about busing children to different schools. The diversity policy requiring no school have greater than 40% reduced lunch will soon be overturned. It's a polarizing issue. There is probably plenty of other threads about it. It's also covered extensively in the News & Observer.

Regarding the employment market, I have a college degree, but am not particularly skilled. As a capital city, there are plenty of government and university jobs in addition to the high tech, bio & medical jobs. It's fairly diverse.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheone81 View Post
Regarding the employment market, I have a college degree, but am not particularly skilled. As a capital city, there are plenty of government and university jobs in addition to the high tech, bio & medical jobs. It's fairly diverse.
Many people with degrees including myself are currently looking for work is there really "plenty" of jobs available or are people in them?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
As I've said before, there are PLENTY of jobs in the Triangle -- the trouble is there are PEOPLE in them, and they're not going anywhere!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM

28 posts, read 136,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
As I've said before, there are PLENTY of jobs in the Triangle -- the trouble is there are PEOPLE in them, and they're not going anywhere!
Good point!

I moved my family here from LA almost 5 years ago. We came here without jobs so that we could raise our ids in a community full of kids. That's easy to find here. The jobs were tougher: we both took a big step back in our careers, financially and otherwise. I love where I live now, but there are a lot of things I miss about LA. All told, I'm still not sure we made the right decision. In 5 years, we're still not where we were career-wise. On the other hand, I think there is more here for our children. Also, it was in the 20s last night--that may be hard to get used to.

People will look at you funny when you use "the" before an interstate #: we don't say "the 10" or "the 405," here they would be "10" or "405."

Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM

406 posts, read 787,982 times
I think the past "good press" about the job outlook in the Triangle is making it more difficult to find a job here now.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times
Agreed...we moved here almost 5 years ago jobless from OC, although I landed one literally on the way here....so I went to work right after we arrived. My husband has been laid off and is having a hard time finding another. I don't think we miss OC/LA, but we do sometimes miss big events..pro sports, being in the major concert tour cities, that type of thing. But for kids the place can't be beat...its safe, schools are great, and you can get an amazing house & neighborhood for your money. I'm in IT too. Times have changed...no question, you must have a job before you come.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:48 PM

166 posts, read 664,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxl_2K View Post
What happened to Wake? Budget shortfall? Or somthing else?

Yes, they have a large budget short fall. In addition to that, the recent election resulted in a school board that plans to change the system quite a bit, which can only result in more shuffling of children/addresses in relation to school attendance areas. This week they are also asking for public input as they consider changing the policy on year round schooling. It will take a few years to straighten itself out...by then there could be another election that sends the board back in the other direction. It is a pretty volatile situation as far as stability goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary