Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:06 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I was walking around the Flea market today around 1pm. Sure it was cold out and I was wearing a coat and some gloves, but there was no wind and to me that makes a big difference in how it really feels. It actually felt quite nice compared to what I was expecting based on the forecast.

This cold weather makes me feel like Christmas is coming.
You're right - the lack of wind made it feel not so horrible.

I sometimes get annoyed with the "It's not cold until your snot freezes while you're cleaning the ice off your windshield" comments, though. Obviously it's all relative. Heck, I was in Mexico over Thanksgiving, and it was 85 degrees and sunny - gorgeous weather. I thought I might die of happiness. I was talking to someone who brought me room service, and he was telling me about how they are in their "cool season", and that many of the resort's employees wear jackets until the sun is all the way up in the sky.

I was born in NC and have lived here all my life, but it wasn't until just a few years ago that I started wishing that summer would never go away. I always loved the change of seasons, and thought it was very very wrong if we had a warm T-giving and/or Christmas. But recently I've been wishing we had warm weather all year long - it feels better on my joints, my dogs get more tired on our walks, and I'm just happier when it's warm and we have lots of daylight. I love sweaters and coats and gloves, but I get tired of telling my daughter to put them away instead of leaving them in the foyer. I miss how much more slowly the laundry accumulates when you're washing tiny little shorts and tees. I find it so much easier to cool myself down than it is to warm myself up (and I'm sure this is probably because I've lived here all my life and have acclimated - short-term evolution, I guess). No need to judge. I admire those newcomers from cold climates who don't need to wear thick socks to bed, and clean their windshields with their tongues. I'd like to be able to turn the thermostat down to 60 degrees and suck it up. That's just freaking awesome. So why is there the need to scorn the locals who are just, well, cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
So why is there the need to scorn the locals who are just, well, cold?

Well you can't blame them entirely...it's not like it was their fault they were beat up as kids .

Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 AM

649 posts, read 1,769,134 times
right now it's -11 and the website says it "feels like -23 degrees". we got about 4 inches of snow last night and expect another couple today. this is montana winter wheather. even though i'm retired and don't have to get up every am to shovel snow and drive in it (nothing closes due to snow here) I am still tired of living in it. for at least 4 months i can't take long walks with my dog. don't want to drive through the country side in the snow, not a good idea. so all winter long you're pretty much housebound. this is why i'm wanting to move to your area. at my age, 25% of my life is confined to indoors and that's not ok. even if it's 20 degrees outside as long as there's no snow I can still go for a drive in my "heated" car, or bundle up and walk my dog. I'd trade places with any of you living in nc right now.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM

56 posts, read 132,689 times
I moved from NY a month ago...this weather makes me feel right at home! (I hope that changes soon LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary