Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 PM

64 posts, read 364,681 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are trying to decide if we should relocate to Charlotte or Raleigh Triangle area. One concern I have is that I have a BA in History and American Studies and he is still a few credits shy of an Associates degree which he will have to postpone another year until we can establish residency.

From what you can tell, are jobs that don't require degrees in IT, health, etc. in & around Raleigh less prevalent because of all the colleges in the area? I've seen this phenomena in college towns before (like Gainesville, FL) where there will be a lot of people with more advanced degrees taking the good jobs and then a lot of college students forcing down the wages & creating a scarcity of less skilled jobs (like office administrative sort of stuff for example). Just looking for any opinions on that & if Charlotte might be a better place to get our feet wet in NC.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,414 times
Default no different

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoneri View Post
My fiance and I are trying to decide if we should relocate to Charlotte or Raleigh Triangle area. One concern I have is that I have a BA in History and American Studies and he is still a few credits shy of an Associates degree which he will have to postpone another year until we can establish residency.

From what you can tell, are jobs that don't require degrees in IT, health, etc. in & around Raleigh less prevalent because of all the colleges in the area? I've seen this phenomena in college towns before (like Gainesville, FL) where there will be a lot of people with more advanced degrees taking the good jobs and then a lot of college students forcing down the wages & creating a scarcity of less skilled jobs (like office administrative sort of stuff for example). Just looking for any opinions on that & if Charlotte might be a better place to get our feet wet in NC.

Thanks!
Its no different than any other place. Because so many people are getting degrees, it is becoming less important. Hard and current skills are the best thing to have.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 AM

65 posts, read 267,108 times
I think this is a good topic. I wouldn't know b/c I will be there in 1 week and have to learn the job market there myself, but I do feel that it is hard to find a job there. My husband and I have been looking since last summer on and off. We both have the years and qualifications, but still nothing.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 AM

460 posts, read 2,421,851 times
Do not take job market information from anyone other than a professional. When I first came to this forum someone (you know who you are) kept giving out advise about jobs. He knew everything. His compnay had some positions, he would not tell anyone where to apply. He told everyone they would never get a job without a NC address (total lie) and eventually in PM we all figured out he was just trying to fish for info. Long story short find a ehadhunter for you and go online to the news and observer and look for jobs for him.
I would take all advise, even that which I have given, with aprehension and talk to a professional headhunter whose job it is to know.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM

161 posts, read 559,018 times
What you really need to do is to decide what you want to do. What kind of work? What type of company? Industry?

Once you can answer those questions, then go on-line and look for those companies. If you just move here, and find any job you can get, you will regret it eventually. Once you are entrenched in a particular career or industry, it is difficult to change.

I moved down here several months ago, and was surprised at just how tough it is to find a job here. I come from a consumer products/marketing background, and have an MBA, yet there is nothing!

You might have more luck in Charlotte. Lots of financial companies there. But again, you should research your opportunities very very carefully, and like Penciltucky said, be leary of any advice you receive from a forum like this one!

Old 06-13-2007, 05:44 PM

10 posts, read 10,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoneri View Post
From what you can tell, are jobs that don't require degrees in IT, health, etc. in & around Raleigh less prevalent because of all the colleges in the area? I've seen this phenomena in college towns before (like Gainesville, FL) where there will be a lot of people with more advanced degrees taking the good jobs and then a lot of college students forcing down the wages & creating a scarcity of less skilled jobs (like office administrative sort of stuff for example).
In a word, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary