Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 AM

87 posts, read 165,902 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be looking to buy a house early Spring. My husband works from home, and I just a got a major career boosting job in Greensboro. WE would like to stay AS CLOSE to the triangle as possible, and try to keep my commute under 45 minutes. We are definitely interested in Chapel Hill because we probably can afford something "decent" with the 2 incomes now. We know Hillsborough and Mebane (don't really dig Mebane) but was curious if there was an area just outside but inside CH/Carrboro that would afford us this.

I would love the advice of a realtor too, or a great recommendation for one around there. We could love in Greensboro but we prefer to keep our current Triangle lifestyle as the same as we can- shopping, etc.
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,177,681 times
where in Greensboro? i only ask because i work off Sandy Ridge Rd and live in Durham next to the Southpoint Mall. my commute is an hour. 45 minutes seems a little tough unless your job is on the east side of Greensboro.

Mike

Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,001 times
I live in northern Durham off Rose of Sharon and can make it to downtown Greensboro in just over 50 minutes.

I would recommend Hillsborough. Nice little town with good access to CH & Durham but only about 45 minutes...possibly less, to Greensboro. Plus, depending on where you are in Hillsborough you'd have the option of 85 or 40 to get out of the Triangle.

If you like a neighborhood in a rural setting with large lots, there are some nice ones out in eastern Orange County. Buckhorn Ridge comes to mind.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 AM

It is a job at the University. Not sure where that is relating to town. We liked Hillsborough a lot and almost bought there back in the summer. We will investigate how long the commute is.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM

UNCG is just west of downtown...42 miles from Hillsborough. Traffic flies along I-40 though, so most of those 42 miles will go by very quickly.

It's about 52 miles from my house in northern Durham...still not bad but I'd certainly the shorter ride from Hillsborough.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,759,622 times
Just curious, is there really shopping here in The Triangle that you can't get in Greensboro? (I know that you would have to come here for Saks, Nordies, & REI). But what about the places you shop at weekly? Target? Harris Teeter? etc. Doesn't Greensboro have those places. And if so, why not live in Greensboro and then you can just come here on the occasional weekend to shop. I like Hillsborough but I don't think there is really anywhere in the Triangle that I would want to commute an hour each way ever day.

Congrats on the job. And I hope you guys figure it all out.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Greensboro has an REI at Friendly Center now...but they don't have 3 like the Triangle. That said, PDXmom has a very good point; I enjoyed some very good years of my childhood in Greensboro and now that I have a family wouldn't hesitate to move back there. Do I prefer Durham...yes, but I would rather spend as little time as possible in the car every day.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 AM

You guys are really helpful. We do like Harris Teeter My husband doesn't seem to care where we end up so it makes it harder, since it's all on me- the job means we majorly uproot.

To be honest I don't know Greensboro at all, and we will be checking it out this weekend. We have 3-4 months ot decide if we want to end up there. We made a huge move here from NY (I think I spoke to you PDXMom here a while ago while we were lookign in Durham...) 18 months ago and another move t a brand new area, leaving a few spare friends behind would be tough. My husband wants a little night life, culture, a bar, a downtown. WE don't know what GB has to offer yet. We know Hillsborough so that's why I mentioned it.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcGoff View Post
You guys are really helpful. We do like Harris Teeter My husband doesn't seem to care where we end up so it makes it harder, since it's all on me- the job means we majorly uproot.

To be honest I don't know Greensboro at all, and we will be checking it out this weekend. We have 3-4 months ot decide if we want to end up there. We made a huge move here from NY (I think I spoke to you PDXMom here a while ago while we were lookign in Durham...) 18 months ago and another move t a brand new area, leaving a few spare friends behind would be tough. My husband wants a little night life, culture, a bar, a downtown. WE don't know what GB has to offer yet. We know Hillsborough so that's why I mentioned it.
Downtown Greensboro is nice. The South Elm area in downtown has some good stuff going on and the street-level improvements are great. Natty Greene's is a nice brewpub down there with decent food, a good selection of microbrews and a huge patio for nice days.

I think you'll find Durham and Greensboro have many similarities. Both are former industrial towns (GSO - textiles & steel; DUR - tobacco & textiles) that are re-inventing themselves, however Durham has benefitted more due to proximity to RTP and being home to a top-tier hospital. Both are college towns. Both cities were significant locales of the civil rights movement and enjoy considerable socioeconomic diversity. Crime stats and patterns are also rather similar in both cities. Both cities also comprise one "corner" of a three-city region. Both have minor leage baseball and classy old theaters. The list goes on...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:50 AM

are the school issues the same as Durham? That was a huge pain in the ass. My daughter will be 3 in January so it's not a major concern yet....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary