Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:19 PM

54 posts, read 49,879 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about installing a paver patio in my yard. I have about a third of an acre in an older neighborhood with a lot of open space. I was trying to get a feel for how to calculate the amount of impervious space I have left to use on my lot but my friends and neighbors have no idea what I am talking about. Is there an easy way to figure it out if I am well under the limit or is that an unnecessary step when just adding a small patio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 02:32 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagk View Post
I am thinking about installing a paver patio in my yard. I have about a third of an acre in an older neighborhood with a lot of open space. I was trying to get a feel for how to calculate the amount of impervious space I have left to use on my lot but my friends and neighbors have no idea what I am talking about. Is there an easy way to figure it out if I am well under the limit or is that an unnecessary step when just adding a small patio?
If you have a recent survey, it should show a measured impervious surface area and percentage.
Otherwise, you may need to have a survey performed for that purpose.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:58 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,340,465 times
Seems wake county limit is 30% impervious, so means we can't go over?
I've seen surveys that are over this amount, what does that mean?
Do they distinguish between front vs back of house?
And what's considered impervious? If I lay down some weed fabric and put rocks on top, is that now impervious?

Old 11-14-2016, 03:07 PM

http://www.wakegov.com/inspect/forms...viouscalcs.pdf

Old 11-14-2016, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the link. So is this form a new requirement? When did it go into effect? No one I have talked to is aware of this.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagk View Post
Thanks for the link. So is this form a new requirement? When did it go into effect? No one I have talked to is aware of this.
If you go onto the Wake County Permits and Inspections forum, there is a link to it from as early as 2012.
It wouldn't surprise me if many homeowners and contractors are not bothering to comply in older neighborhoods, particularly if they are also not pulling permits.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:43 PM

Thanks! The lots are pretty big with smaller houses,so the impervious surface should be well under 30% if that is the limit, and most of the hardscsling was done so long ago that it probably just hasn't been an issue in the older areas.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:12 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,539,498 times
OP, it also depends on when your neighborhood was platted. Mine was platted 15+ yrs ago and its limit is 70% instead of 30%. Here was the quote from town of Cary when I asked them the question in reference to building a screen porch:

"Cary Park was platted prior to any specific sq footage of max impervious being applied to a specific lot. The default max under this subdivision was 70% impervious. With setbacks its almost impossible to exceed this, so unless you feel like you are close, I would not bother getting a survey. We do not have any data on this lot as it pre dated specific numbers."

Old 11-15-2016, 10:30 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,340,465 times
So different neighborhoods could have different impervious limits? How do we find out?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
So different neighborhoods could have different impervious limits? How do we find out?
Contact the planning department for whatever jurisdiction your house is located in. Or if you have a survey from when you bought the house, its probably on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: