Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times

Advertisements

More good news for the Triangle area, there while be many more positive business moves in the near future. These jobs pay $62,778 plus benefits on average.

Risk management firm picks RTP for headquarters, 430 jobs :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:50 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Uh oh...watch out now. The posters that really do not want anyone moving here are not going to like this!!!

Vicki

Old 12-14-2009, 12:36 PM

335 posts, read 801,036 times
Weeelll, I'm pretty sure there won't be too many positions left for out-of-staters to apply for once the local talent pool is searched. This is certainly good news no matter what.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
what with the Credit Suisse jobs announcement last week it's excellent news. About time too after all the bad news from Sony Ericsson, Nortel, etc recently - especially as these are well paid positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
More good news for the Triangle area, there while be many more positive business moves in the near future. These jobs pay $62,778 plus benefits on average.

Risk management firm picks RTP for headquarters, 430 jobs :: WRAL.com

Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM

406 posts, read 787,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Uh oh...watch out now. The posters that really do not want anyone moving here are not going to like this!!!

Vicki
Are you serious? I think everyone wants to hear more good news.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
Are you serious? I think everyone wants to hear more good news.
Ummm, I was poking fun at some of the folks that don't like people relocating here.

Sorry, I forgot to add my smiley face...

Vicki

Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,759 times
My husband works for IEM.

I have read some very unpleasant comments on the news pages associated with this story. Many were mad that IEM was offered 9 million in perks over 12 years to move to the triangle. I think these people may not realize the company was offered much much more to stay in Baton Rouge however money was not the deciding factor in all of this.... location and education was. If you look on the IEM website you can find many high level job openings available. IEM was having A LOT of trouble finding qualified individuals in the Baton Rouge area and then when doing outside head hunting most individuals did not wish to relocate their family to the Baton Rouge area. I think this move should be great for the company as we have been told that your area offers a highly educated and skilled workforce and IEM is hoping to fill all open positions in the coming year.
As far as my family goes we will be relocating sometime in the coming year. IEM will be in the RTP and we are looking for an area that is somewhat close for my husbands commute. We have two school aged children so the schools are a factor for us. We think we will rent a home for a year before buying so that we can get a feel for the area and make a more informed decision. So for now we are looking to rent. We were hoping to spend $2000 or less for something in a decent family neighborhood. We know NOTHING about the state or area we will be moving to.

Are there in areas that stand out that we should look in first?
Any areas to avoid?

We would prefer a traditional school schedule not year round and I would like an area that the kids could go to the closest school and not be bussed far out. While not real picky I would prefer a home that was well built and not cheap construction (learned my lesson here in Baton Rouge).

Thanks for any and all help you may be able to offer!

Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
$2000 will rent you a lot of house almost anywhere in the Triangle.
And renting prior to buying is a good idea.
You may be able to get a shorter lease, if you can set it up to end in the summer when the landlord has a better chance of finding a new tenant.

Chapel Hill has great schools and a reasonable commute.
Cary and Apex also offer fine schools, although assignments are a little dicey.
NW Cary commute to RTP is easy. And we are in stages of building a freeway, 540, that will make that commute from Apex better than it is already.

What ages are the kids? Elementary, middle school, HS?

Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Wake County is the only place that mandatory year-round schools have been an issue, and the new school board promises to work on that, though of course existing policies will be in effect for awhile. Wake is also something like one of the top 20 largest school systems in the US, I think. Durham County can be like a minefield for finding the right school, I'm told--some good ones and a couple of scary ones. Orange is where everyone wants their kids to go to school, but not surprisingly is the most expensive.

I presume your relocation is still some ways away? In the meantime, watch the Wake County School proceedings carefully. Lots of people are moving to Johnston County (farther from RTP, but said to have good schools in a much smaller school system). Chatham County is another possibility.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
$2000 will rent you a lot of house almost anywhere in the Triangle.
And renting prior to buying is a good idea.
You may be able to get a shorter lease, if you can set it up to end in the summer when the landlord has a better chance of finding a new tenant.

Chapel Hill has great schools and a reasonable commute.
Cary and Apex also offer fine schools, although assignments are a little dicey.
NW Cary commute to RTP is easy. And we are in stages of building a freeway, 540, that will make that commute from Apex better than it is already.

What ages are the kids? Elementary, middle school, HS?
The kids here (in Louisiana) are out of school for the year in the middle of May and we hope to be able to move into a home in North Carolina by or on June 1st 2010. We will look for a 1 year lease so that gives us time to be able to get a feel for the different cities in the area to decide where we would like to settle.

My son will be entering 2nd grade fall of 2010 and my daughter will be entering 6th grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary