Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 24,706 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I are very interested in relocating to NC this year. We are in NY suburb now (Westchester Cty) and pay high taxes (12K/year) along with parochial school tuition. We also are tired of the weather here (long, cold winters). We have 3 boys (ages 10, 7 & 4). We have been down to visit and liked Wake Forest, but found out afterwards about stories of redistricting, along with children in the same family going to schools on different calendars (year-round & traditional). It seems like Wake county schools are where this occurs. Our question is, how common is this? Are there other towns that are not subject to redistricting? Am I making a big deal over nothing? I am concerned because we will be pulling the kids away from friends this year, would prefer not to have them go through it more than once if possible.
Also, can anyone recommend a family-friendly neighborhood with a pool in the 250K range? We looked at Heritage Wake Forest but I think it’s too expensive (on top of the redistricting issue).
Thank you & Happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:37 AM

484 posts, read 1,584,906 times
We lived in the North Raleigh/Wake Forest area and we have several young children, two of which are school aged. We only lived there for about a year, and our children attended private schools, but we looked into public schools quite a bit. We decided against public schooling primarily because of the redistricting issue. Our neighbors had several school aged children who had been redistricted about once or twice every 2 years. Although the public schools in the Wake Forest area are known to be some of the best in the state, the redistricting/constantly moving schools was an issue for us. As far as the schools schedules, it really varies by school district. Year-round schooling is VERY common here (they "track out" every 9 weeks for 3 weeks at a time, I'm pretty sure). However, there are some schools still on a traditional school schedule, but those seem harder to find.

I've heard fantastic things about the Traylee subdivision, in Wake Forest. We had some friends that lived there, and it seems like for the money you can buy a gorgeous home. The neighborhood has beautiful lots as well, and lots of families. I'm not sure about a pool though.

You could also check into the Smith Creek neighborhood, in Wake Forest. I've heard fantastic things about it as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rga3053 View Post
It seems like Wake county schools are where this occurs. Our question is, how common is this? Are there other towns that are not subject to redistricting?
All towns in Wake County are part of the same school system. There are two other counties that comprise the core of the Triangle - Durham County and Orange County (which has two school districts) - plus a few more outlying counties like Johnston or Chatham. None of these other counties are subject to the same redistricting/year-round issues that affect Wake.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:58 PM

9 posts, read 24,706 times
Default Thank you

Thank you both for your response.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:36 AM

289 posts, read 489,721 times
Johnston County (right outside of Wake) is not subject to redistricting. Schools in Clayton are rated very highly (check other posts), and many people like living here, including me. Benefits: friendly small- town atmosphere, a variety of people from around the country and around the world, and affordable nice housing. I think Clayton is the best of all worlds. We moved here from Wake for all these reasons. See The Best Schools in the Most Affordable Zip Code Codes: Rank: 10 - BusinessWeek

Last edited by claytonmom; 01-02-2010 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 AM

223 posts, read 566,824 times
There is redistricting in Johnston COunty- just not as often as in Wake County and it involves new schools opening. This fall 2010 the high schools are undergoing a major redistricting to accomodate 2 new high schools that are opening. Probably not a huge deal for those moving into the area but it is a major thing for those in the area as it affects the size of the schools, sports teams, academic offerings, location, etc. The quality of the high schools should be a major consideration for parents even if the kids are not yet there. The redistricting also happened a year or so ago when the new middle schools opened as well as new elementary schools. Not exactly the same as Wake County but it does have an impact. For the OP, do your research- there are many changes about to happen in the Wake County school system with the new school board. Lots to consider for you.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 AM

289 posts, read 489,721 times
You're right, jamangirl-- Johnston Country does have to move kids around as new people move in the area and new schools open. Although it is hard for the kids, it is not continual-- which is what Wake County has been, due to redistricting required until now to balance schools according to income. Kids could be sent to a new school every year or every other year, and you never knew when-- that's what happened in our old neighborhood.

Changing schools is very hard on kids, and I wanted to invest in a house where I was (reasonably) sure where my kids would go (and where I would know the parents of my kids' friends, because of a small community).

I would hate to have the job in Wake County to balance the needs of the parents/kids (shorter bus rides, less redistricting) vs the overall needs of the community (and the possibility of unbalanaced schools due to limited diversification/bussing)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:25 AM

544 posts, read 852,689 times
The vast majority of reassignments occur due to the opening of new schools, and the ripple affect that has on the surrounding schools. A new school has to have kids to fill it and those kids then create empty seats at the school where they came from.

Indeed some areas have had what appears to be an unfair number of reassignments, but they tend to occur in high growth areas of the county where new schools are built.

When determining the veracity of “horror stories,” it’s a good idea to ask a few questions. I’ve spoken to people who claim they have been reassigned 3-4 times in the last two years – which isn’t possible. Example: When the assignment plan is released and Family X is proposed to move, they count that as “reassignment one.” Their neighborhood may then be dropped or adjusted in the plan, and they count that as “reassignment two.” Finally, the school board will make its final determination and Family’ X’s neighborhood may stay where they were.” The person then claims that’s “reassignment three.” – when in fact they were not moved at all.

As long as Wake County grows, more schools will be needed and with it the need for reassignments. Neighborhood populations of children will ebb and flow as neighborhoods get older and younger families replace empty nesters.

If you are considering a neighborhood, go talk to the people who live there and call the school district to find out where new school are being planned.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,544 times
I would stay away from Wake County. Hopefully the nonsensical reassignments will be over now that we've elected new school board members, but academic opportunities are a crap shoot here. If we had to do it all over again, we'd move to Chapel Hill. It costs more to live there. but at least you know what you're getting into and the schools are better.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM

50 posts, read 270,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post

If you are considering a neighborhood, go talk to the people who live there and call the school district to find out where new school are being planned.
Nice post Emitchell!

I'm not from around here. Where might one find the contact details for the school district?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary