Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 AM

41 posts, read 316,635 times

Advertisements

We are building a new home in Apex and are looking at our appliance choices. We only plan to be in the home about 3-4 years.
Do you think it is really important to upgrade appliances? Is this a selling factor for most people?
We will have a gas stove, and all appliances will be stainless, but do we need to upgrade further (say from GE to GE profile) or is that a waste of money?
They all look the same in my opinion but wondered what others thought.
It would end up costing us about $1500-2000 out of pocket to upgrade.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,961,430 times
For us, upgrading to an energy star model would be worth it, but not to just to a designer line.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,385 times
For me, the kitchen is the most important room in the house. My wife and I love to cook and having good appliances is very important to us. Having good appliances may help you sell your home more quickly when the time comes, as buyers like me will be more inclined to purchase a home with the upgraded appliances vs. one without them. Whether you will recoup some or all of the additional expenses will probably depend on they buyer, though.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,148 times
If you're talking about resale value I'd say simply having stainless is adequate. Most buyers simply purchase a house on it's visual qualities. If they see stainless VS boring white that'd adequate in my opinion (as a recent buyer). Of course in 5 years flaming enameled red could be the style of the day and stainless could be "so 2000".

Old 05-22-2007, 09:53 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,984 times
I agree with Toot. Energy efficiency is very important to a lot of people.

If you'll be buying a range, I think you'll have to go with the Profile line (for a gas stove & electric oven). But other than that, I think it's very much up to personal preference. For instance, I really really do not like stainless steel appliances. I think they look too trendy. For me, stainless steel is the Harvest Gold & Avocado of my generation. Blech. I prefer simple white appliances. But lately I seem to be in the minority! You should just trust your gut & buy what makes you happy.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:29 AM

23 posts, read 326,167 times
I recently sold a home in a tough market (NJ) and I'm currently looking to buy in the Triangle. Here's my two cents on the subject:

My upgraded kitchen was a big selling point. From a buyer's standpoint, the cost of new, upgraded appliances would cost 3 to 4 times more later and upgrading means disposing of the old appliances, paying for installation of new ones, and hoping that the openings in the countertop will accommodate the new appliances.

Black appliances are becoming very popular, and typically cost less than stainless. A nice compromise would be to upgrade to GE profile, but not stainless. Standard GE is considered "builder's grade" and will not be a selling point, even in stainless.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,256 times
Just thought I'd add my opinion.

I think there are two camps when it comes to appliances. Those that care and those that really don't care at all.

For those that don't care, as long as it looks like - I'm sure they'll be happy.

For those that care, you'll be lucky if GE Profile is what they want. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking GE Profile - we have a GE Profile oven and microwave. But we also had the builder remove the GE Profile cooktop and dishwasher because we wanted something else. So if I was buying a resale - I'd rather it be a cheaper appliance I was removing than one that's pretty nice (and probably built into the price of the home) - but not what I wanted. Appliances tend to be a pretty personal decision for people who really value them.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,979 times
Thumbs up GE Profile Line

My opinion, go with the GE Profile line...you will be able to enjoy the appliances for whatever amount of time you're in the home. You will make your money back if you decide to sell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesgirl View Post
We are building a new home in Apex and are looking at our appliance choices. We only plan to be in the home about 3-4 years.
Do you think it is really important to upgrade appliances? Is this a selling factor for most people?
We will have a gas stove, and all appliances will be stainless, but do we need to upgrade further (say from GE to GE profile) or is that a waste of money?
They all look the same in my opinion but wondered what others thought.
It would end up costing us about $1500-2000 out of pocket to upgrade.
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,787 times
Ask any realtor kitchens sell homes. now that I have said that let me also say that what you considered an upgraded appliance some people consider not such an upgrade. I personally have a 6 burner high end professional stove. When I buy a home in NC I fully intend to take out whatever is there and go get another one. I would buy something for a resale in mind that was easy to maintain and easy to clean. Do not worry about anything else since stoves do not sell kitchens the cabinets, surfaces, lay out and storage space do.
Spend your money there.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM

30 posts, read 148,318 times
I'll give my 2 cents worth - it depends on the price point of your house. At each level, there are some expectations of what kind of appliances the kitchen will have.

For example - to go several steps higher: If I could buy a 1.2+ million dollar house, then I would expect a 6 burner, gas Wolf range, Sub Zero refridgeration configeration of some kind and perhaps 2 dishwashers if I entertained a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary