Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:55 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,955 times

Advertisements

I definitely want to work at a teaching hospital. Does anyone know which are the teaching hospitals in the area? I probably wouldn't want to live right in the middle of everything and deal with all the traffic. I also am not very good at parallel parking so if I lived downtown that may be a problem too.

The only thing that would make me not want to move to Raleigh is the really humid summers. How long is it humid like that? How bad are we talking? Is it the type of humidity with sweat dripping off of your forehead and clothes sticking to you? I do love warm weather but the humidity is the only thing that scares me. Would it be any different if I went closer to the coast, or farther inland?

I have 3 years experience as a Registered Nurse and I make $21 an hour now. Would I be looking at much of a pay increase/decrease?

Last edited by hkrn44; 03-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: wanted to add to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I definitely want to work at a teaching hospital. Does anyone know which are the teaching hospitals in the area? I probably wouldn't want to live right in the middle of everything and deal with all the traffic. I also am not very good at parallel parking so if I lived downtown that may be a problem too.

The only thing that would make me not want to move to Raleigh is the really humid summers. How long is it humid like that? How bad are we talking? Is it the type of humidity with sweat dripping off of your forehead and clothes sticking to you? I do love warm weather but the humidity is the only thing that scares me. Would it be any different if I went closer to the coast, or farther inland?

I have 3 years experience as a Registered Nurse and I make $21 an hour now. Would I be looking at much of a pay increase/decrease?
Paywise, you should not take a cut here and it could be slightly higher. There is also weekend and shift differential. The academic medicals are Duke (in Durham) and UNC (in Chapel Hill). Both are excellent tertiary medical centers. Parking is atrocious at both. Duke has parking facilities all over the place and they shuttle you in. Duke also charges for parking but the fee is based on how close the lot is. Not sure if UNC charges but Chapel Hill has free busses all over town. If I were young and single, I'd probably pick Duke and live in either Durham or the Brier Creek area of Raleigh. Duke is not located downtown and it is right off the Durham Freeway.

As far as the weather - I'm from New England and find the summer hot, humid but bearable. I pretty much don't do much outdoors except very early morning or later in the evening when the sun is down. It's humid on the coast as well with maybe a bit of an ocean breeze. On the other hand, Carolina blue skies are like nothing I'd ever seen - miles and miles of gorgeous blue!! Seems much more vast here. On the other hand, you'll find winter so mild compared to Pittsburgh.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:06 PM

Paying for parking isn't a big deal for me. I have to pay for parking at the hospital I work in right now. I park in a parking lot right beside the hospital and I pay $100 a month. I really hate paying it but I guess it could be worse. If I worked at the main UPMC campus(presby), i would be paying $120 a month. And then its $170 a month to park at the new children's hospital.

Any idea what the average price is for parking at the hospitals? Just as long as its not too much more than what i'm paying now, I wouldn't mind.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:28 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
I pay $55/month and I am able to park right next to the clinics where I work. Most people who park there have worked at Duke for about 15 yrs. My husband parks almost a mile away and pays a lot less - he isn't certain of the exact amount. If you work off shifts at Duke, you are able to park in one of the garages right by the hospital.

Have you looked a jobs online? All positions are posted on the Duke website...just google Duke HR and under keyowrd, type in registered nurse. You can enhance your search by clicking on various shifts. All Duke entities are posted (Duke Medical Center, Clinics, Durham Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh etc).

Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM

I think it may be too early to apply for jobs. I plan on moving in September. I don't have my North Carolina nursing license yet either. I was planning on getting that in May. So I figure the hospitals probably would not even look at my application until I have a North Carolina RN license.

Those parking fees sound alot better than what I'm paying now!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Which are the teaching hospitals in Raleigh? I know that Duke is, but is it the entire Duke health system? Or just the main hospital. I Really wish you could find this information on the hospital websites or there was a list somewhere...

Old 03-21-2010, 10:55 AM

334 posts, read 626,166 times
I lived in Fl for 20 yrs. It is NOT hot and humid here at all, LOL. at least to me. The rainfal depends on the el ninio factor If it's strong, we get less rain, if its weak, we get more. I think the folks talking about rain and weather and hot and cold have only been here a few years. This area has pretty moderate weather. Now, some times we have extreams, like this winter. We got 6 inches of snow and you will be amused to hear the whole place came to a halt for 4 days! They have NO clue about snow here. They close the schools if there is more than an inch and NO i am not exaggerating.
It';s nice here, you should like it. There is a institute of higher learning every 20 miles around here. LOL, UNC, a girls collage downtown, NCstate, Duke, eastern Carolina state, I am missing a few, OH yeah, a seminary in Wake forest. Plus the public school system has been pretty good. You will notice even the store clerks can make change and carry on an intelligent chat. Being from Fl. that was a nice change of pace as well. People are happy, so they are nicer to each other. cost of living is MUCH lower than it is in NY.
I have only been at Wake Med and where I was impressed with the nursing staff, I was unimpressed with the unnessary tests and blood work. ( I was a nurse for 20 yrs. in hosp. ) It is obvious that they use pts with good insurance to pay for those with none. But, perhaps that is everywhere now.
I have heard good things about Duke and Rex. If it were me, ( i was a cardiac nurse with acls and solid telemetry training in a open heart unit) I would interview them, instead of them interviewing me, ROFL. The more education you have, the more skills you've aquired, you can pretty much have your pick of what's available.
good luck and I hope you like it here as much as we do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary