Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 AM

494 posts, read 1,389,749 times

Advertisements

Our fearless media just informed me,we may get a dusting of snow.They are dispatching their crew as we speak to report on the crises.Although at this point they have not advised me to hide in my bedroom,while gorging myself on milk and bread,they did say to stay tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 AM

346 posts, read 613,638 times
Run! Go to the grocery store while you still can!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,085,197 times
I was out early this AM, Ray Rd south of Strickland had almost half an inch of the white stuff.

Oh, yea, that was the salt brine ...

Frank

Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,858 times
They were putting the salt brine down on 401 north from fuquay to raleigh yesterday at 3pm. My car is white with salt. the thing about that it does not cover the entire road surface, so parts will melt the snow only to freeze solid on the section of the lane that did not recieve enough material. Its a pi$$ poor way of trying to treat road surfaces for snow and ice. better to do nothing before but when it starts then drop rock salt and mag chloride on the road beds. But they do not have the equipment. So I would stay home if there is any snow in the morning tomorrow the groud temps are way below freezing and anything that falls will quickly melt the freeze as ice not packed snow which you can drive on it has some traction, ice does not, which we will have because of there poor treatment techniques.

Oh by the by its been colder at night down here the past 5 days than in the Allentown area of PA!!! today now at RDU 20 degrees at allentown PA its 30!!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,729,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I was out early this AM, Ray Rd south of Strickland had almost half an inch of the white stuff.

Oh, yea, that was the salt brine ...
On SE Cary Parkway last night they had laid the stuff on so thick I could actually see a haze in my headlight beams from the cars kicking it back up again.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
On SE Cary Parkway last night they had laid the stuff on so thick I could actually see a haze in my headlight beams from the cars kicking it back up again.

Its not as thick as you think, its salt and it dries and becomes well dusty and salty, a bit of traffic at 40mph will makie it blow around. Its sticky so when wet when it goes down it looks worse than it is. Dry same thing.

Oh my reasoning about why the brine is a problem has to do with the temps we have very cold, the amoubt of snow predicted maybe 1 inch it will be a very dry snow which would BLOW OFF THE ROADS!! Now it will quickly melt and refreeze!!

From Wisconsin DOT
[SIZE=4][SIZE=4] Applying chemicals during blowing snow and cold temperatures will cause drifting snow to stick to the pavement. If chemicals are not used, the dry snow is likely to blow off the cold road surface. [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,589,301 times
Reminds of me of home. Well they didn't put stuff down until it snowed actually.

I was just back in upstate NY and it was 7 degree outside and I came to the realization that I am a whimpy southern now after 8 years south of the Mason Dixon.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:06 AM

133 posts, read 331,555 times
A trace to an inch? Really? This much attention for so little snow that may or may not happen? The top of the WRAL site is blasted with: A live "snow chat"? Closings and delays? It's an inch of snow....maybe!!!

Snowstorm could drop trace to an inch

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

43,358 posts, read 77,240,687 times
I have to say, I find the unlimited coverage of a possible trace of snow much more agreeable than neverending coverage of states of emergency and power outages due to 2 feet of snow. Or 30 below zero. Or a hurricane.

I'm just fine with "Much Ado About Little or Nothing."

And, sometimes they are wrong, I hear.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:10 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,629,706 times
Great, soon my employee/coworkers will be wanting to leave early so they don't get stuck in THE BIG STORM!

OMG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary