Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,876,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayzeekay View Post
Thanks everyone really.

Mike - not sure why you seen to be offended I appreciate your input as well but you were getting into stuff that's over my head since I'm just a parent not a teacher!!
kayzeekay: I don't know Mike, so can't speak for him, but if you read his posts, he works in education here, possibly for Wake County. He has a Master's in Education and another field..see this or the other wake county school thread for more info. He was sharing some background from an educators and local person's "in the know" perspective - point taken that it might be over your head not living here, and that he had a typo and meant literacy as pointed out by another poster

Anyhow, it appears he was trying to show you that as you were soaking up the advice given by the librarian from NY, some of her links/suggestions were not appropriate or applicable once you read the content. She went to school here in the 70's. I raised a child in the system here in the 80's&90's. By no means it is even the same now as I raise my 6th grader. All I can tell you is that our school system has to be one of the most complicated and changing ones in the country! Is there a national list for that, there should be

While this forum is great for lots of info/advice, your best source will continue to be WCPSS - give 'em a call, and locals who know the system here, as well as educators in our county. Luckily our mod is a teacher!

Good luck with your move, I know it's a bit nerve wracking. We always needs nurses here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,843,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Luckily our mod is a teacher!
Yes, a Special Ed teacher (with a MSEd), but not teaching in the Triangle area -- so don't ask ME for any advice on specific schools .....

Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 PM

7 posts, read 11,187 times
OK guys, I can't thank you all enough for the time put into your responses.
I know I am going to have to come down & look around. Time & money are always a challenge.
I have a feeling I am going to have to abandon Wake b/c most of my fears about the schools seem to be real!! All will depend on where DH finds work & then I will have to follow accordingly. Prob'ly be seeing you in the next 2 years (unless I win the lottery & can spend $500K on a 1500 sq ft house here).

Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,901 times
Default No I was completely serious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
Should I take this sarcastically? Are you trying to imply that I need or don't have a Masters in Education?
Did you assume I was being sarcastic because of the guffaws?

I have a few credits to complete towards my second masters and I am trying to decide if I should finish them here in NY (where tuition is 3x what it is in NC) before I come down. I've looked briefly at all the NC program websites but I was advised by a Wake County administrator to choose very carefully and not take Reading First-type coursework but focus on newer Literacy Collaborative-type methods. If you have info about schools of ed or these kinds of programs in specific, I am genuinely curious. I would not want to waste my money on the wrong training.

I apologize profusely if it is really true that being a Literacy Coach in NC means I would sit in an office and see only 3 kids a day. This is a very alarming thought! I assumed that Literacy coaches in NC would take offense at that characterization. I thought the 'guffaw' comment was much kinder than my first thought which was of a mob bearing pitchforks. I admit I don't see how criticizing that particular group of professionals was contributing to the original poster's request for information. Much of your post seemed very mean-spirited to me. It is entirely possible that I misunderstood.

BTW, the link I suggested to Kayzeekay seemed to suit her needs. I did not suggest any special schools to her. You have the two separate threads mixed up.

I will crawl back under my rock now!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,535,670 times
Aritcle that may be interesting

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,120,753 times
That's a great article. Hope everyone takes the time to read it.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,726 times
"His answer was met with groans from some parents who think the evidence is clear, nationally and statewide, that concentrating poor kids in the same schools doesn't help—and almost always hurts—their academic performance."

This is where they always lose me. They have yet to show that their testing has improved among those individual students. We are just diluting their low score among more schools, and that's not helping anyone. I wouldn't want my child bused across the county so his low score "looked" better on paper!

My child does go to a magnet inside the beltline. And people would be fools not to know it's very segregated. The base population are in a completely different set of classes from the magnet population. My child sees brown faces in gym and lunch. That's it. How is that diversity?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,535,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyMarshall

My child does go to a magnet inside the beltline. And people would be fools not to know it's very segregated. The base population are in a completely different set of classes from the magnet population. My child sees brown faces in gym and lunch. That's it. How is that diversity?
I will have to agree to this as well. I was looking through the news on WRAL and going through some of the videos and found this video. I just wonder where are the black kids? Kind of makes me wonder what are they using to determine which kids are in what class.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
I completely agree with the "dilution" point and would add this...does that not seem like an unintentionally discriminating policy itself? Busing for the sake of diversity and "equality" is essentially saying that poor black kids can't make it in school unless they are surrounded by well-off white kids. Just a thought.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 AM

544 posts, read 853,047 times
To answer the second sentence, no. That was a talking point of the neighborhood schools proponents.

There is a significant amount of research that demonstrates that low income students who attend a school with overwhelming numbers of other low income students have a more difficult time. Being poor in Wake County doesn’t automatically mean you a racial minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary