Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 PM

25 posts, read 55,256 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I know there are a thousand threads on what's the "best" place for so-and-so to live. Unfortunately, this may be another one of them. I am moving to the area in June and I need a bit of guidance. I am a single, 30 year-old professional female. I am not interested in living in the cookie-cutter communities with families and kids running everywhere. Sure, someday I will be looking for that but not now. I would like to rent a house or townhouse, and I would really like something with a tiny a yard. I'd like a walkable neighborhood with a bit of an urban vibe. My price range for rent is the $800-$900 range.

Any advice and/or guidance is much appreciated. I am going to be making several visits over the next few months, but I would really like to narrow down some places to target. Fortunately, my job allows me the luxury of living pretty much wherever I'd like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM

28 posts, read 99,459 times
I would look into Cameron Village - very urban and hip. You might be able to find a townhouse or condo in that range but it's highly desirable. Five Points is very cool but rent might be high there also. You should definitely look into the downtown Raleigh/Oberlin/Wade Ave/neighboring communities. North Hills is also urban with tons of restaurants, a theater, shopping and there are a bunch of apartments/townhouses/condos surrounding it. I googled and found The Alexan at North Hills, which look fabulous. Not sure where you're working but a lot of communities will give discounts based on your employer. Hope this helps!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,198,023 times
Try West Village in Durham. renovated tobacco warehouses with a loft-like appeal. Restaurants and bars within walking distance and a summertime music series.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,866,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeniebeenie View Post
Hi all,
I know there are a thousand threads on what's the "best" place for so-and-so to live. Unfortunately, this may be another one of them.
So did you do a search on the forum first, for all those other threads?

Actually, I don't see where you list where you will be living/working? The Triangle is pretty large and so if you are working in Chapel Hill, living in East Raleigh, for example, would not be wise. If you don't have a job yet, that should definitely be the first step (highest unemployment in 30 years), and then once you know where you'll be working, it's much easier to narrow down your search. Your price range should not limit you much; you will have a lot to pick from.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:46 AM

25 posts, read 55,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So did you do a search on the forum first, for all those other threads?

Actually, I don't see where you list where you will be living/working? The Triangle is pretty large and so if you are working in Chapel Hill, living in East Raleigh, for example, would not be wise. If you don't have a job yet, that should definitely be the first step (highest unemployment in 30 years), and then once you know where you'll be working, it's much easier to narrow down your search. Your price range should not limit you much; you will have a lot to pick from.
I did do a search and it appears to me that there are more married/with children relocators than there are single ones. Hence my inquiry!
I didn't list where I am going to be living/working because I have the luxury of being pretty flexible. My questions is where, out of all the places in the triangle, is the best fit for a single person in their thirties. If I had a specific place where I HAD to work then obviously my choices would be limited. Fortunately for me, I am not in that situation.

Thanks for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary