Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 AM

7 posts, read 13,555 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a home area that I can have a home based business (retail sign making) and it seems that wake county has put a stop to that and only rezoning properties for big business. Has anyone else seen that or am I just not talking to the right person in the zoning departments. Checked with Knightdale, Wendell and Garner.
Starting to think maby I should open a storage place and see if they say ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy66 View Post
I have been looking for a home area that I can have a home based business (retail sign making) and it seems that wake county has put a stop to that and only rezoning properties for big business. Has anyone else seen that or am I just not talking to the right person in the zoning departments. Checked with Knightdale, Wendell and Garner.
Starting to think maby I should open a storage place and see if they say ok.
How big of an operation do you plan to have? Will you have customers or suppliers coming and going all the time, making lots of noise, etc? If what you're planning to do won't have any noticeable effect on the neighborhood in terms of noise or traffic, just carry on with your business and don't give a thought to Wake County.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
How big of an operation do you plan to have? Will you have customers or suppliers coming and going all the time, making lots of noise, etc? If what you're planning to do won't have any noticeable effect on the neighborhood in terms of noise or traffic, just carry on with your business and don't give a thought to Wake County.
I agree. I run a business that doesn't have customers coming to my house and it works out fine. Deliveries are in bulk and kept to a minimum so that isn't a problem with the neighbors either.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
I concur with StoneOne and mike052082 - I do the same thing, although I do have a legitimate business license and county permission, but no visitors, so they don't care.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Basically I am downsizing from a reg retail location (Health reasons). As for traffic im guessing 2-4 cars a week at max. Where im worried is if I get work trucks that want lettering put on the doors or on the side of a box turck. Where my other snag runs in is I restore collector cars as a hobby (to keep my sanity) Last thing I need to an inspector comming by seeing one of those and saying im running a repair shop out of the garage if im helping a friend out messing with something on there car.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:47 PM

What kind of inspector would be coming to your home? I would say to have a location where you can do the install on from someone else in their warehouse. Other than that you would have to turn down the big vehicles. I wouldn't see a box truck a problem as it should be a fast one two day install. If I had a neighbor working on an 18 wheeler though, I would be complaining.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:59 AM

I just know my luck. Get into a place and the one time i get a large job a neighbor will be having something inspected and they will look over and see me lol

Old 01-22-2010, 07:41 AM

What do you mean by getting something inspected?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy66 View Post
Basically I am downsizing from a reg retail location (Health reasons). As for traffic im guessing 2-4 cars a week at max. Where im worried is if I get work trucks that want lettering put on the doors or on the side of a box turck. Where my other snag runs in is I restore collector cars as a hobby (to keep my sanity) Last thing I need to an inspector comming by seeing one of those and saying im running a repair shop out of the garage if im helping a friend out messing with something on there car.
You are more than allowed to work on cars in your garage (HOA permitting). Guy down the street from me has a beautiful 70's something Corvette hangar queen that he works on all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary