Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,847,104 times

Advertisements

Are you coming here for a job? That (location of your job) will make a substantial difference in where is feasible to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:07 AM

29 posts, read 61,997 times
I am fixed on NC because of the weather. I was born in NYC, moved to Paris then London for 7 years, back to Paris, France and then Lenox, Mass. where I had a business and a cool house, and in 2000 I moved to Clearwater FLA. After six years the heat got to me. Also as far as work goes it is telemarketing capital of the world. but that has changed. My son is in Paris learning Masonry and working for a boss but it is a CDD which is a 2 yr contract and then either the dude hires him or he is on unemployment. That is why I need primo a 3 room house maybe one with a barn or something to convert into a small studio for him. I also need a state that is moving. Texas is a nono because my eldest daughter lives in NY state and North Carolina is an 18 hour drive max so that is acceptable.

Wow. I wil be renting something before I buy. There is no way I will buy without seeing. But I read these posts all the time and the transplants do not regret there move and the people who are in the area for ages all have nice things to say about NC. So why not? There is a health plan if you are not rich and that suits me fine for my daughter. I myself receive Disability and Survivor benefits and a French pension which will be sent in Euros. So I do not have to work. But if my son comes down (if his contract is not renewed), he will need a roof over his head and the opportunity to find at least a small job. This seems feasable in the triangle area.

When I see people whining that they cannot find a home with a budget of 450K I want to scream!!!

So how is Sanford? I am going to google it some more and see what comes up. I will try to attach a picture of where I live now. It is the entry of the village. We are 14 souls in winter and maybe 50 in summer. That is without counting a few old hippies that live in the woods with no running water.
//www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=1600838820#/album.php?aid=6977&id=1600838820 (broken link)//www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=name&id=1600838820#/album.php?aid=6977&id=1600838820
Hope that works

Old 01-22-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Are you coming here for a job? That (location of your job) will make a substantial difference in where is feasible to live.
No Francois but maybe my son. Check my post underneath. I need decent schools for my daughter and later on University.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Google Maps
You can use streetmaps to go along at ground level, too.

On Jack Road I saw both houses and trailers. Some houses were not set back very far from the road. For your cat I think you'd want to be farther back. Also, there aren't many trees, if that is important. I wouldn't let my cats roam there, but I'm probably overprotective.

Are you planning to rent until you know the area better?
YES defintely. Cannot buy without seeing. I have a cat though and it is hard to find a place. He is aged and does not scratch things, is clean and friendly. More than most people I know!!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,107,301 times
You would not be happy in those towns. I think you mean Sanford, not Stanford. Sanford would probably be okay.

You'd probably be better off closer to Raleigh even if you had to have a roommate to share expenses.

Maybe try the Wake Forest/Youngsville/Louisburg area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmommy34 View Post
J

I found alot of houses at very decent prices in places like Dunn, princeton, stanford, zebulon.... Are these towns completely boring or conservative?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmommy34 View Post
Just got an email from a realtor I am working with. He says the road in front o that house is limited at 55 mph....I think I will look at something else.

I found alot of houses at very decent prices in places like Dunn, princeton, stanford, zebulon.... Are these towns completely boring or conservative?

Any suggestions.... Pittsboro was my 1st choice but my wallet can't
follow.

Any suggestions?
Zebulon is nice if you just want to be left alone, sitting outside watching the stars.

There is a Wally World, a grocery store, some fast food places, a nice steak house. The downtown rolls up by 6:00 p.m.

It is a very quiet area. VERY quiet.

Princeton and many places south of I-95 (Smithfield) are very rural and outside of having a grocery store, you will drive to department type stores like Wally World.

Definitely should look around Raleigh.

Clayton is nice.

It is situated between the Outlet Mall and Raleigh.

Easy into Raleigh and removed enough to be peaceful...

Schools were rated in the top 10 last month by some Forbes or other magazine?

Wake Forest and north of Raleigh is very nice as well.

Consider moving and renting for a while as you can get out and tour the area for yourself and really know what places have what you need...

If you look around here in person, I think you might find some places like Pittsboro, but withing your wallet limit...

Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 AM

New Orleans??? Isn't THAT the place that got flooded during Hurricane Katrina?? No the palmetto, or American Cockroach made me flee the deep south....I almost broke a birkenstock trying to KILL them...
TEXAS is no no no...my daughter lives on the east coast and that is where I am going.
I want small I do not want big.... I was raised in New York, Paris, and London so I know what big is and all these places have gotten so you cannot BREATHE.... my brother moved out of Geneva 2 years ago because the air was giving my little niece breathing problems... some kind of childhood asthma. Tell you what I will visit Austin; it is after all the Venice of the US, no?

Old 01-24-2010, 07:51 AM

You are right. But still Clayton is Ok with me. Zebulon sounded a bit bibilish if you know what I mean....

Old 01-24-2010, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Listen do you know what the traffic is like on South BARBOUR Street. Near the corner of BARBOUR and BLANCHE? I cannot get google to give me the traffic.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,255,988 times
It's a neighborhood corner. Traffic is light. Lombard Street (aka NC 42) is heavy traffic in morning and late afternoon/early evening and weekends..

blanche street clayton nc - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary