Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wasn't the voter turnout for the election only 11%? If it was that or close to it that makes survey participation even greater than the big deal vote changing the direction of the school system.

And in this case some people can "vote" twice since a parent can fill out one survey per child so 29% of surveys filled out does not even mean 29% of parents participating since some paretns have multiple kids in the system. I also noted that the article states "Administrators have said they won't provide responses for an individual school unless its response rate was at least 33 percent."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 04:51 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
It's a lot easier to fill out an online survey than going out to vote (assuming you have a computer at home). I'd have expected a lot more people to participate, especially since the school their kids go to may change calendars.

On the other hand, knowing how people are - I bet more than 30% of the parents will complain about the results!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
It's a lot easier to fill out an online survey than going out to vote (assuming you have a computer at home). I'd have expected a lot more people to participate, especially since the school their kids go to may change calendars.

On the other hand, knowing how people are - I bet more than 30% of the parents will complain about the results!
Hit the nail on the head. Now is the time for parents to participate and the survey participation rate is dismal. Yet people will turn out in droves at future public meetings to complain about the school calendars. I actually feel a little sorry for the Board of Ed. members. They get beat over the head by parents screaming to be heard, then when they give them a voice and a chance to give meaningful input the vast majority of parents do not provide feedback. I just don't know how you can hope to make people happy when dealing with that.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:57 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
They really didn't give anyone a voice, more like lip service. They made their decisions yesterday before the survey even ended!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:07 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
They really didn't give anyone a voice, more like lip service. They made their decisions yesterday before the survey even ended!
If that is the case then they are no different than the last board. These people are nothing but polititians. I don't trust any of them, including the last school board that people seemed to be so fond of.

FYI - more people can out to vote in this last election then most of the previous school board elections, so people need to stop saying these people are not the voice of the majority. using that logic the board members NEVER represent the majority (and that's most likely true).

Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
I think that a number of the new board members are slowly but surely growing into their new positions. The county may soon have a new voting majority of new and old members trying to move the system forward in a postive way that respects the needs of parents and families within the context of school improvement. I am finding two of the new members to be learning quickly (from what I read) and along with at least 3 of the old members may form a non partisan partnership. They have a very difficult challenge and acrimony between them will do none of them any good and certainly will not help improve education in the county and that is needed.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
people need to stop saying these people are not the voice of the majority.
You can only vote for a candidate in your district.

Only 4 of the 9 board seats were up for election. By that alone, the four new board members do not represent the voice of the majority of voters.

Until Wake County changes to at-large voting for School Board seats, a relatively modest sized group of motivated voters will be able to control the board.

Five of the seats, including the chairman's, expire next year. I'll go out on a limb and predict a lively campaign.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
You can only vote for a candidate in your district.

Only 4 of the 9 board seats were up for election. By that alone, the four new board members do not represent the voice of the majority of voters.

Until Wake County changes to at-large voting for School Board seats, a relatively modest sized group of motivated voters will be able to control the board.

Five of the seats, including the chairman's, expire next year. I'll go out on a limb and predict a lively campaign.
Totally agreed.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
i hope you guys get this stuff figured out before i have kids...

Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i hope you guys get this stuff figured out before i have kids...
Me too. I just hope I don't have to choose between sending my kids to a poor school or a rich school as they will be in the coming years.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary