Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,281,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I think only parents with kids in WCPSS should be allowed to compliment or complain!

Vicki
72% of Wake County property tax revenue goes to schools.
I invested over $1100 in the schools for 2009, with never a student in my home. I wouldn't be so quick to give up my voice. Oh... That is, if I had exercised it.....

http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/...Charts2009.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I invested over $1100 in the schools for 2009, with never a student in my home. I wouldn't be so quick to give up my voice. Oh... That is, if I had exercised it.....

You misunderstood my point. People without kids DO pay taxes to the schools, I'll give you that. And i'm not talking about voting. BUT...how can you complain about what you HEAR versus what you KNOW?

Can you (people without students) speak of re assignement? WHAT do you base this upon?

Can you (people without students) speak of having your student bused when you really have no knowlege of it?

My point is...your (not you, personally) complaints are based on WHAT? People speak of WCPSS as if they have experience when they don't.

Vicki

Old 02-02-2010, 09:07 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Can't rep you so here's your rep

Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,313,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Survey results: Wake parents mostly satisfied with school assignments :: WRAL.com

I wonder if this means everyone will stop griping about their assignment

People have been complaining about the schools?

Let me tell you how we do it the right way where I come from ......

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,131,596 times
If you don't have a kid in the system, it's kinda pointless to whine about the mundane things like snow days or early release or teacher workdays that really don't actually afftect you personally!

But I'm totally fine with people who don't have kids having a say in the system overall. Who is to say they won't have a child in the system at some point and I think they should be part of shaping the system NOW versus whining LATER. I have a friend who literally became a parent overnight by being a foster parent! I also think as homeowners, even if I didn't have a child, assignments affect property values and all homeowners should be highly concerned and involved in board decisions. .

Last edited by lamishra; 02-02-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,277,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
If you don't have a kid in the system, it's kinda pointless to whine about the mundane things like snow days or early early release that really don't actually afftect you personally!

But I'm totally fine with people who don't have kids having a say in the system overall. Who is to say they won't have a child in the system at some point and I think they should be part of shaping the system NOW versus whining LATER. I have a friend who literally became a parent overnight by being a foster parent! I also think as homeowners, even if I didn't have a child, assignments affect property values and all homeowners should be highly concerned and involved in board decisions. .
EXACTLY!

Vicki

Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,851,999 times
We all must be concerned about the quality of public education because we rely upon each other to have productive communities.
Think about it: aren't you glad we require people to be prepared to drive before we give them a license? We all share the road!

RE: the survey- there were very few questions, almost all about the calendar. there was a comment section. But I had expected 40-50 questions about calendar, curriculum, & diversity, for example. It was very 'bare bones.'

Most people on traditional or track 1 or 4 are happy. Tracks 2 & 3? Not so much. But there are way less people on those tracks.

My theory about the low response to the survey? Thsoe who are happy with the new board feel they were heard through the election. And PTA's who feel threatened by the stated goals of the new board worked hard to mobilize parents to fill out the surveys.
(Before you flame me, I have very little pity for non voters & non-survey takers!)

Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,855,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra
EXACTLY!

Vicki
Huh? But Vicki, you were the one who was saying the people should only be able to give input if they have kids in the schools right now. Then you just agreed with a post that says something contrary to that.

If they expect to limit input on how property tax money is spent on schools, then they should limit the taxes themselves, eh? People may have other valid reasons for supporting or not supporting a particular issue with the school system other than just because their own child is directly affected. And their money is affected, in any case.

(And BTW, there are plenty who do take the position even more radical than yours that folks without kids should not even be able to vote for School board elections, for school bonds, etc. Yet when it's time to pay for new schools, their hands reach into our packets, too). Sorry, it's all one way or all the other.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,207,480 times
Quote:
If you don't have a kid in the system, it's kinda pointless to whine about the mundane things like snow days or early release or teacher workdays that really don't actually afftect you personally!

I agree with you completely. I don't have a child in the system but I care about how the system in general improves the society and county as a whole. Given that I am part of that society, I have a stake in what is done with the schools. Additionally, I have been pumping about $4000 a year into Wake County Schools based on the aforementioned 72% rule (assuming it's a correct metric). For the most part, Wake Co. has distinguished itself over the last 4 decades as an outstanding large public system. I'd hate to see the progress it has made flushed down the toilet for mostly unsubstantiated reasons and very loud noises coming from a small minority of dissatisfaction.

Sorry Lamishra, I cannot give you rep points until I spread some around. :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 AM

4,480 posts, read 11,632,630 times
Quote:
I also think as homeowners, even if I didn't have a child, assignments affect property values and all homeowners should be highly concerned and involved in board decisions.
This is a good point, especially with the desired return to "neighborhood schools."

Ironically the new school board is proposing changing the year-round school assignment for my neighborhood, which looks like it will affect about 60 kids total. So much for less moving kids around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary